Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1998 gmc sonoma 4 clinder p0440

More
4 years 6 months ago #33948 by cheryl hartkorn
its been forever since i worked on one of these. i thought i had a bad purge valve because i couldnt pull a vacuum on the system according to the scanner. fuel tank pressure sensor stays at 1.5 volts. smoke it no leaks with vent vlave closed. fuel tank pressure sensor stays at 1.5 volts even with smoke machine on system. hear purge click no vacuum coming out of it at idle. find no vacuum from hose that goes on throttle body at idle. its ported vacuum? anyone remember back that far? i even closed vent valve puilled strong vacuum on system from an intake source. so now im thinking i have a stuck fuel tank pressure sensor. sound like thats the issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33949 by Tyler
Definitely sounds like the sensor is stuck. Should have started reading lower voltage with the smoke machine on the system, especially if you got the flow gauge to show zero. Sensor time!

As for the vacuum source for the purge valve... I have no idea. :lol: Most of these trucks that came into my bay had bigger problems, like blown head gaskets and smoked wheel bearings.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33954 by Cheryl
That’s what I was thinking especially when I stole vacuum from the brake booster and closed the vent valve was expecting to see a huge voltage spike in a very short time. Had to bust out the old antique tech 2 since snap on had no purge and seal option

More
4 years 6 months ago #33965 by Cheryl
Installed new tank pressure sensor now reads according to pressure and vacuum changes. But drove it threw a p0122 tps low code now have to scope that

More
4 years 6 months ago #33967 by Tyler
Not that I encourage parts changing, but I might just put a TPS on it. :silly: I chased the same code on an Isuzu Hombre (rebadged Jimmy/Sonoma) for three days before I just gave in and replaced it.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33968 by Cheryl
That’s what I was just going to do on this beater. Just helping out a broke friend

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds