Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Still stuck on a cobolt

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #33698 by Tsavory
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2.2L Eng LT
Codes p0300

Customer complaint smokes bad some times blue some times black sometimes white.

When I first messed with it it would not even Crank hunted down that problem they had some kind of security system that they had bypassed the exciter wire for the starter which was no longer in the car wires just cut.

Got it cranking it would act like it wanted to start but then die checked Ignition, injector pulse, fuel pressure (which is a bit High) thought heck just to see give it a shot of starting fluid it took off ran a few seconds died ok with no throttle control weird . tried again it took off feathered the throttle and it came to life. Idled smooth ran good boss took it for a test drive said it ran great.
the Next morning it did the half start then die BS little SF and off it goes runs great. Turn off and restart no problems.

What I have found is that if I can get it to run for like 30sec it will run great no issues till it sits for a few hours or if I turn it off within 5 min it has to sit about 20 min before acting up.

To me it seems like a air\fuel issue.
All scan data seems good the O2s1 is a little high but not to bad
Now the BARO to me seems way low as I am used to seeing at my Altitude around 29.6 but it shows 3.6 .
Problem with the scan data is I only have about a 30 sec window it acts up.

Oh yeah feathering the throttle about every third try it revs up about 3000 if I really have control(even though Scan data shows I do all the time) i can hold it about 2500 for 10 to 15 sec and it will stay running.

Any ideas on the next step.

I for got to mention fuel pressure readings key on bumps to 55psi initial start 70PSI works down to about 65PSI calls for 50-60psi.
p0300 scan data shows every now and then one 1 and 3 just a couple then none.

Only smoke it first few seconds after it starts a whitish blue. spotted oil in the intake cleaned it out when I cleaned the throttle body and even blocked the port into the intake off in case crank pressure was pushing though adding too much air on startup. No change
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Tsavory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33708 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic need help on a cobolt
Did you do a throttle body relearn after cleaning it? How’s the spark plug gap?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsavory

More
4 years 6 months ago #33709 by Tsavory
Replied by Tsavory on topic need help on a cobolt
Yes I did and the Gap is good .042-.043

More
4 years 6 months ago #33711 by Cheryl
Do the iac and ect agree when cold?

More
4 years 6 months ago #33712 by Cheryl
Iat intake air temp

More
4 years 6 months ago #33732 by Tsavory
I will have to double check that. I did not have time to mess with that one today.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33737 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic need help on a cobolt

Tsavory wrote: Now the BARO to me seems way low as I am used to seeing at my Altitude around 29.6 but it shows 3.6 .

:ohmy: What altitude ARE you at? A barometer reading of 3.6 In.Hg equates to close to 50,000 ft above sea level.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 6 months ago #33741 by Tsavory
yeah I am at about 800 ft used to seeing 29.6

More
4 years 6 months ago #33742 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic need help on a cobolt
I would be looking at your MAP Sensor/Circuit. BARO is calculated from the MAP signal, during KOEO, (and sometimes WOT).

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 6 months ago #33988 by Tsavory
OK finally got a chance to make back to this one.
Different scan tool and the Baro is now reading correctly Map matches it.
Coolant reads 68
Intake air reads 82
AMB air reads 78

it is 76 out right now.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33994 by Tsavory
Also I cant find the spec on a injector bleed test but they are all 50psi to25-26 psi.
Each cold start it has the smell of raw fuel and white smoke.
Which is why I did the injector bleed test.

I have plugged off the valve cover tube to eliminate starting crank pressure build up..
I know I am over looking something simple I have also used the water trick to find a leak but no luck.{i need a smoker lol}
still stuck.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33995 by Cheryl
Maybe the white smoke is coolant?? Maybe try put a coolant pressure tester in the cooling system leave a few hours see if coolant gets in any cylinder

More
4 years 6 months ago #33996 by Tsavory
I will try tomorrow but I doubt that is it since I have not lost any coolant in 3 weeks I let it run about 2 hrs today to build up battery. Other than that and a few I knew it was not it tests its been sitting.
I guess it could have a head gasket that don't leak when cold but will during cool down period.
So first thing Ill put pressure gauge on let sit a few hrs then Ill start let it get up to temp and re test Ill pull plugs and bore scope the cylinders after the cool down.

While at it any other suggestions? I need this one gone LOL.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33997 by Tsavory
One more thing this evening I noticed it tended to have random misfire for a bout the first 5 min. and erratic idle the first time its done that.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33998 by ptebo1
Replied by ptebo1 on topic need help on a cobolt
Take a fuel sample. Maybe its got bad gas...

More
4 years 6 months ago #34002 by Tsavory
Pulled plugs cylinders dry as a bone.got it started let it get to temp pulled plugs again bore scoped it stayed dry. so not a coolant leak in the cylinders.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34009 by BrandonF
Replied by BrandonF on topic need help on a cobolt
I hope you get her handled brother. Sometimes they'll get you like this. When this happens to me I have to stop...back up, and figure out which road I need to go down. If your thinking it's something wetting the plugs, pick a system, fuel or coolant....like you did. Inspecting the cylinders like you did is just fine, but you may also try putting her under pressure and rechecking. Possibly even pulling the plugs before you go home, put her under pressure, and let her sit over night, then check it in the morning. On the fuel side of things. You can keep the fuel system primed, and keep your eyes glued back and forth in each cylinder. Doing a bleed down test was a smart thing to do. But keep in mind, a couple, few, or even several drops in a cylinder can wet that plug and get you a long start but give you somewhat similar injector bleed down numbers. I had an Altima a couple of months ago that was like that. And I was luckily enough to not have to remove the fuel rail to inpect it. I was able to catch it dripping into the cylinders. Good luck my friend.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34011 by ptebo1
Replied by ptebo1 on topic Still stuck on a cobolt
I`ve seen this bulletin numerous times but I have never actually seen it apply. I doubt its your issue but it sort of matches some of the complaints minus the smoking factor which would lead someone to believe it is some type of fueling issue,... you probably have already seen it but in case you havent this is part of it... Also look for bulletin # 16-NA-383

ROUGH IDLE CRANK NO START EXTENDED CRANK OR MISFIRE DUE TO EXCESSIVE CARBON ON TOP OF THE VALVES OR STICKING VALVES
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): PIP5029H, Date of Issue: Feb 13, 2017
SERVICE INFORMATION
Brand: Model: Model Year: VIN: Engine: Transmission:
from to from to
All All 2000 - 2017 All All All All

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to update Parts Information and add model years. Please discard PIP5029G.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
CONDITION/CONCERN

Some customers may complain of a MIL and/or engine misfire, rough idle, extended crank, or crank no start in some cases, the misfire may be more apparent on a cold start and may run rough for up to 5 minutes after starting the engine, may count on a single cylinder or several cylinders, and may or may not be felt by the driver. Upon inspection, the technician will find one or more misfire codes (DTC P0300-P0308) stored in the ECM and SI diagnosis may or may not isolate the cause of the misfire depending on whether the intake/exhaust valves are sticking at the time of the diagnosis.

This may be the result of major carbon build up on the intake and/or exhaust valves due to fuel contamination or incomplete burning of the fuel as shown below so the misfires should not have appeared until accumulating at least 5,000 miles or more.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34015 by Tsavory
Replied by Tsavory on topic Still stuck on a cobolt
BrandonF thanks for the info I'll try that. I have set this one aside several times Think I have it and while verifying something throws a wrench in it.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #34016 by Tsavory
Replied by Tsavory on topic Still stuck on a cobolt
ptebo1 thanks for the info I will definitely look into that since i don't have pressure transducer for the scope I'll have to figure out a different way. boss wont let me pull apart without some proof it needs to come apart..
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Tsavory.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds