Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

How Many Miles Are On This Truck ?

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33666 by David Kern
-Purchased 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 in June 125,560 miles on odometer from out of town Chrysler Dodge dealer

-Scanned with Launch X-431 Torque showed mileage: 174,603 stored in PCM (local Chrysler dealer confirmed storage location is PCM today)

-Subsequent scans with our Launch after driving more miles show the same mileage: 174,603

-We noticed our Launch would not pull VIN unless we selected Dodge, 2005, 16 pin connection, and then select auto scan at which point it would pull the VIN

- Our Launch scanner has read several other cars with exact match between computer and odometer and miles accumulate normally

-PCM and SKIM read "NO FAULT"

-Our Launch scanner does show one active Front Control Module (FMC) Adjustable Pedals Systems Relay Output circuit Open FAULT

-Local Chrysler dealer scanned with Wi Tech 2, mileage registered 0 miles

-Independent shop scanned with Snap-on Zeus, "Pre Scan Vehicle System Report" does not show mileage, also would not pull VIN electronically

-We are working with local Chrysler dealer to determine if PCM is original. The manufacture date was less than 30 days from truck manufacture date.

-Odometer appears to work normally

Possibilities:

-Odometer was rolled back or instrument cluster was changed without reprogramming PCM correctly which crashed the PCM which is why it is stuck reading 174,603

-PCM failed in way that caused our scanner to read 174,602, Chrysler’s Wi Tech 2 scanner to read 0 yet is not triggering a FAULT code.

-Something else we have not considered

Questions:

-What other possibilities are we missing?

-Why does our Launch read 174,603 and the Wi Tech 2 read 0?

-Why is our Launch reading frozen at 174,603?

Quite the puzzle from our perspective, we will follow the evidence where ever it leads, there may well be non nefarious explanations we haven't considered, if so terrific, if not, we will redress that too.

The key is to determine actual mileage or learn this is not knowable but know which components have been tampered with or otherwise are inoperable.

Thanks,

David
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by David Kern. Reason: Content update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33677 by Chad
I think the mileage originates in the Instrument cluster. My guess is that the BCM has been replaced with a used module, but not flashed to match the cluster mileage. Does the mileage on the Odometer change, as you drive miles?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Kern

More
4 years 7 months ago #33679 by David Kern
Yes, odometer appears to accumulate miles normally.

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting a used Body Control Module was not coded to the odometer with proper programing and this may have caused our scanner to read the frozen 174,603 off the used BCM while odometer is progressing normally, currently at 127,959?

Interesting.

We have located the ECM on the block and the IPCM under the fuse box, thus far we don't see where the body control module is. We can try to track it down in the a.m. to determine if it has been replaced working with the local dealer. I

If you know specifically where the BCM is we would appreciate your sharing this. We are using a pdf. of the DR service manual which does discuss the BCM but we are yet to locate sufficient detail.

Thanks for taking the take to help us mull this over, perhaps we are on to something here.

David

More
3 years 7 months ago #43058 by JOSEPI
Hi David. I replaced dash cluster lights a while back and in doing so read where some people replaced their clusters with other used clusters and that was the down side. Mileage is what it is. Just a thought. Could be a used cluster. I know enough to know that I just don't know much.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds