Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Brake Trouble

More
4 years 7 months ago #33486 by CGIRL1373
Brake Trouble was created by CGIRL1373
I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD 3.5 engine. I have brake problems when I press the brake pedal the cylinder from the caliper goes out where it’s 1/4” from my brake pads. I let off the brake pedal the cylinder goes all the way back in the brake caliper. When I press the emergency brake it does the same thing as the pressing of the brake pedal. Last October we replaced the master cylinder and brake booster and just came to find out the back brakes aren’t working. We have bled to he brakes repetitively and still no brakes. Can anyone help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33489 by Southern_Ways
Replied by Southern_Ways on topic Brake Trouble
This is happening on all the brakes or just the rear brakes? When you bleed the brakes are you finding air in the lines or is the fluid coming out as soon as you open the bleed valve? The piston is coming out how far when you apply the brakes? The brake pads should be sitting against the rotor without the brakes being applied and then they squeeze the rotor as soon as you apply the brakes. The fact that the pads are traveling some distance and are still 1/4" away from the rotor sounds wrong. There shouldn't be any travel in the pads.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33490 by CGIRL1373
Replied by CGIRL1373 on topic Brake Trouble
This is only happening on the back brakes. Fluid comes out as soon as you open the valve. The brake pads are all the way against the rotor it’s the cylinder that is moving.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33492 by Southern_Ways
Replied by Southern_Ways on topic Brake Trouble
I found this on the Flex with the same issue as you:
I had the same problem with my rear calipers: they would retract after applying and releasing the service brake. I manually adjusted them once, but I ended up replacing both calipers.

They eventually created a pretty serious safety issue since the brake had to be pumped a couple of times before the extra space between the pad and the rotor was closed.

IMHO there must be either a manufacturing or engineering defect in the rear calipers that they would exhibit the behavior at all let alone after only 40,000 mi.

I would be interested to hear back from you if you find this to be your issue. Just curious have you reached out to Ford to see if any of your brake parts have been recalled?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Southern_Ways. Reason: grammer

More
4 years 7 months ago #33500 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Brake Trouble
I am watching this thread with great interest...... all that should pull the pistons back is the elasticity of the seals in the caliper.
How is the hydraulic system split on this vehicle --- front-rear or a diagonal split ? Either way one of the things I would try as an experiment is applying the brake and holding it on then clamping off the a flex hose at the rear and opening the bleed nipple and watching what happens.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 7 months ago #33508 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Brake Trouble
Sure sounds like your rear calipers suck. :lol: These integral parking brake calipers are problematic, and not just on Ford. As long as you've confirmed good fluid flow to the caliper, and that the parking brake cables move correctly, then it's caliper time.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33512 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Brake Trouble

Tyler wrote: Sure sounds like your rear calipers suck. :lol:

:lol: I see what you did, there!:lol:

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds