Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Monte Carlo Security question

More
4 years 6 months ago #33455 by fudgie
Hey everyone-
Had a 2005 Monte Carlo towed in. Apparently the car was a no crank, and the customer trying different keys had the ignition cylinder lock up on them. I put an OE ignition cylinder with key sensor in it. Did the 30 minute key learn procedure. For the first 10 minutes the security light flashed. After that it went solid for the next 2, ten minute events. When I tried to start the car- I noticed the security light flashing, and the car will not crank. I have crank signal at the pcm- but nothing lighting off the starter relay. Trouble code B2960- reading a valid but different code value than previously learned. Will a security lock out prevent the car from cranking? Any help appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33460 by Tyler
You can definitely have a no crank from a security issue on this car. Just to make sure, you can check the PCM data for starter relay and security status. I'll spell out if it's in anti-theft mode.

It's worth a quick look at the BCM data to make sure the system security sensor signal voltage is changing to something reasonable when the key is inserted to the lock cylinder. The signal should start at 5V and drop to something less than that, but not zero. I know you just installed a new one, but this test is meant as a quick check of the wiring and BCM (since the BCM supplies everything to the security sensor).

If that still looks good, try your 30 minute relearn again. You can have the scanner hooked up and watching the relevant PCM/BCM data to watch the timer, and the relearn status.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33474 by fudgie
Thanks Tyler-
Looking at data- no key is 5v- with a key it drops to 4.24v. I have tried to relearn 3x. It flashes for the first 10 minutes and then the light goes solid for the next 2 events. After the third and final 10 minutes- leaving the key in the ignition- I cycled the key and the security light starts flashing again as if I am starting over with the learn. I will look closer at the data tomorrow. Thanks for your help

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 6 months ago #33561 by Noah
There might be different relearn on these, I remember an 05 Malibu that had to have the drivers door open then the key in the in the ignition in the on position for ten minutes. Then the car would start... I don't remember where I found that procedure, but the Malibu was not having the 3 ten minute cycle procedure.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 6 months ago #33563 by John Curtis
With a scan tool plugged in what value is displayed during crank?

I see the same procedure as already covered above. I also see one more procedure that says attempt to start and leave the key in the on position until the theft lamp goes out. Then turn ignition off and try to start.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33653 by ptebo1
So i beat my head against the wall one time because i thought all GM 30 minute learn procedures were the same. One day i had one that wouldnt complete the learn procedure, Finally i logged on to GMSI and the procedure actually had you crank the engine after each ten minute wait time. so initially you have to crank it. wait ten minutes, turn the key off, wait 5 seconds and then crank it again. repeat that procedure basically until it starts, if that makes sense...

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds