Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1999 Ford F150 4.6 4x4 no crank, no start

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33383 by tom.davis
1999 Ford F150 4.6 4x4 no crank, no start but if I take my little test light and touch the starter/ ignition fuse # 21 under the dash the truck will crank start and run. So basically I am grounding out that starter/ ignition circuit when I do this. What does that indicate the problem is?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by tom.davis. Reason: Misspelled word

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33389 by jreardon

File Attachment:

File Name: 1999fordf1...cuit.pdf
File Size:66 KB

If I understand correctly, you're missing power at Fuse 21 in the crank position?
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago #33390 by tom.davis
no the power is there the test light glows when I touch the fuse and the test light is grounded to the body.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33391 by John Curtis
On both sides? With Key off? Or key on?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33392 by tom.davis
key in the crank position

More
4 years 7 months ago #33393 by jreardon
Perhaps it's bad fuse contacts. Instead of using a test light, try pushing the fuse in with your finger while your crank.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33493 by Southern_Ways
Ignition switch not going to ground in the cranking position (Bad contacts)? Will it do the same thing in the run position?

More
4 years 7 months ago #33507 by tom.davis
no power to the fuse #21 during run but once started truck runs fine. Power windows, blinkers, radio all work fine when Ignition is on.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33515 by Chad

tom.davis wrote: no crank, no start but if I take my little test light and touch the starter/ ignition fuse # 21 under the dash the truck will crank start and run. So basically I am grounding out that starter/ ignition circuit when I do this.

If I understand correctly, the engine does not crank when the key is turned to the "START" position. But, if you test the fuse with a test-light like this:

while the key is in the "START" position, the engine will crank, start, and run.

If that is the case, then I second what jreardon said:

jreardon wrote: Perhaps it's bad fuse contacts. Instead of using a test light, try pushing the fuse in with your finger while your crank.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Chad.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33524 by tom.davis
I inspected and cleaned the fuse receptacle replaced with a new fuse still the same problem.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33529 by Chad
Have you checked farther down the circuit? Do you have power at the DTR sensor, on the transmission, when in the START position?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 7 months ago #33535 by Southern_Ways
Will your test light light if you connect it to the positive side of the battery then test the ground connection on the control side of the relay?

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds