Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Misfiring and farting through throttle body...

More
4 years 6 months ago #33359 by chris.marland
My 05 dodge neon is farting and popping after an alternator fried. Smelled an odor while driving, Quarter mile down the road vehicle stalls at red light. Attempts of cracking over fails, would not crank by the key at all. Was diagnosed is an alternator that failed due to a leak In the power steering hose. I replaced alternator, then was told the starter was bad by a garage. I knew with an electrical issue but didn't have the proper tools to diagnose . Well after using the tools that I did have which was a multi meter armed a test light, with an engine Crank battery starter, I went ahead and checked I think about 80% to 85% of the wiring harness for the starting system as well as several components. It now cranks over by the key and starts but it revs it self up-and-down about 4 or 5 times and then comes tool kind of a high idle with farting and popping in the Throttle body. I know this still an issue with the Something under the hood but not quite sure where to start. I'm a backyard mechanic got AGE D in studied one year in mechanic school, I know what I know but could always use to know more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33362 by cheryl hartkorn
first the title had me laughing of your post. did it do it before you checked the electrical system?? sounds like a vacuum leak or a lean condition to pop through the intake

More
4 years 6 months ago #33365 by chris.marland
I'm not sure, but i first heard a misfire then i went old school and raised the throttle by hand and and maintained about 1800 rpm give or take and it started doing it all while that was going on. At first i thought my kid did it but he wasn't in the car at all. Now every time you turn it over the idle races for a sec and fluctuates 4 or 5 times then idles high by itself while doing all the farting and popping in the throttle body tube. Anyway i can test the TPS?

More
4 years 6 months ago #33670 by rpd1125
Sounds like a huge vacuum leak possible incorrectly installed or missing from the intake manifold should be easy to hear that high vacuum leak

More
4 years 6 months ago #33680 by guafa
Hi everyone,

Is that huge vacuum leak relate to alternator replacement?

Could that steering fluid cause a short in IAC wires?

What about strangle air by completely closing throttle body by hand? That way if engine starts again with high revs we can asume a vacuum leak.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33681 by guafa
Hi everyone,

Is that huge vacuum leak related to alternator replacement?

Could that steering fluid cause a short in IAC wires?

What about strangle air by completely closing throttle body by hand? That way if engine starts again with high revs we can asume a vacuum leak.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33898 by chris.marland
There is no vacuum leak. So far i have relaced the tps and the iac sensor. And gave it a set plugs and wires. ( I took a video of it starting and found the # 3 cyl was arching ). Now nothing. Cranks wont start. All fuses good, dont hear the fuel pump after turning key.

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds