Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Stalls at Stops

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #33072 by randy61
Any ideas will be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

This is an older vehicle, don't like shot gunning parts but thought it wouldn't hurt replacing anyway being it has 170,000 mi.
Replaced parts after stalling issue with no change.
Engine runs great all day long at idle. Even runs good at higher RPM's.
Drives fine until it gets warm but then just shuts down after coming to a stop.
Sometime it will just idle low upon stopping but then may quit after applying gas pedal.
Soon after all the stalling engine will have a low vacuum and o2 will stop working.
It was worse before finding that the catalytic converter was wasted. Replaced that also.
Could the issue have anything to do with the transmission being that it idles perfectly?
Is it possible that the ECU just needs to relearn?

Parts Replaced
IAC motor
Coolant temp sensor
Air temp sensor
Oxygen sensor
Starter relay
fuel pressure regulator
injectors
Vacuum lines
fuel pump last year
Fuel filter last year
Coil last year
Crank sensor last year
Plugs, wires, rotor and cap last year
Only old part left is the camshaft sensor.
Map sensor tested fine as did the throttle position sensor.
All relays tested good.
Also Replaced Ignition Switch. Wire going to blower, blinkers, tail lights had shorted due to the switch slider internals catching when turning key to the off position. It just got hot enough to melt the wire coating and the plastic area of where the wire connects. The connection was still good. It just got hot. That wire goes from the ignition switch to the fuse block. No blown fuses. Noticed all that upon inspection after the stalling had taken place.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by randy61.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #33073 by guafa
Hi randy,

Not to much experience with those engines. The only one i checked was 92. Same issue (suddenly shuts down).

It had some bad contacts inside pcm. I removed the plastic protective compund from the electronic board, rebuilt the bad contacts and i worked.

More
4 years 8 months ago #33076 by randy61

guafa wrote: Hi randy,

Not to much experience with those engines. The only one i checked was 92. Same issue (suddenly shuts down).

It had some bad contacts inside pcm. I removed the plastic protective compund from the electronic board, rebuilt the bad contacts and i worked.

If it is the computer something must have caused it. Scary replacing the computer and it fails again this time in a remote place.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33176 by John Curtis
Check fuel pressure,
EGR for restriction and command
IAC for command
Throttle body for carbon build up? Clean?

If you keep your foot lightly on the gas pedal does it stay running?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33436 by randy61
Issue was a sticking EGR. Would stick slightly open causing low idle and low vacuum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds