Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 VW Lupo 1.2L TDI

More
4 years 8 months ago #33011 by mike.jones
I noticed one day the coolant temperature was not reading any warmer than 63°C (145°F).

-So on a cold engine, after unplugging the ECT, the temperature dropped to ambient air temp (15°C).
- I then unplugged the fuel temperature sender, temperature then dropped to -5°C. (ECU uses fuel temp when theres a problem with ECT,at least thats what I read)
-Then after jumping the 5vREF and signal wire on the ECT harness, temperature rose to 70°C (158°F) and stayed put.
-I thought temperatures should drop to -40°C and rise to 130°C or more?
-There is also a little bit of stray voltage on the harness itself (about .10V).

I figure before I start really poking around and break something, I would ask for your advice. I am just beginning to learn about this stuff. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #33028 by Landroverman1958
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum,usually the temperature senders are of a two wire type,5volt on one wire,earth on the other,it should default to 5volts if unplugged,and set a fault code for open circuit,and read -40 for open circuit.
There are usually two temperature sensors one going into the radiator as well,check the coolant temperature at the radiator,best to use obd2 as the car may run a default stratergy,,,, cant spel tonight,the wires usually break off at the connectors to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds