Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1998 GMC C7500 7 liter v8

More
4 years 8 months ago #32935 by Mark.A
I have a medium duty truck with air brakes that has some sort of issue with the abs. It has a standard 16 pin obd2 port rather than a 6 or 9 pin found in most larger trucks. I don't believe it's using a heavy duty truck protocol because of the dlc pin placement but I am not able to achieve communication with my scanner. I have 12volts to pin 16 and good grounds at pins 4 and 5. I also have wires to the #1, #6, #7, and #15 pins. I am assuming the #1 and #6 pins are proprietary lines GM used. My check engine light comes on when the key is turned to the on position but cycles off. The truck starts and runs with no issues. My abs light stays on. I checked the voltage at pin 7 which I am assuming is the k line and I get almost 70 volts with the key in the on position with engine off. When I disconnected the abs module the voltage dropped to 0 volts but I still can't establish communication. The only thing I can think of that could introduce that much voltage to the system is something shorting in the ignition system but the engine runs smoothly and I still don't see how that much voltage could even possibly get to the k line with key on engine off. Any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32944 by Tutti57
Is there any voltage present if you go from battery neg to engine block? Have you used this Scan tool on the truck before? I'm assuming you see that 70v with engine running? How about koeo?

Nissan Technician - ASE L1 Master Tech

More
4 years 8 months ago #32946 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 1998 GMC C7500 7 liter v8
This is gonna sound backwards, but... check fuses. ;) I've seen it before, when a module or component is missing a 12V supply, and ends up backfeeding higher voltage into that same feed circuit when the fuse is popped. I don't understand it, but it happens. :silly:

More
4 years 8 months ago #32957 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 1998 GMC C7500 7 liter v8

Mark.A wrote: I checked the voltage at pin 7 which I am assuming is the k line and I get almost 70 volts with the key in the on position with engine off. When I disconnected the abs module the voltage dropped to 0 volts but I still can't establish communication. The only thing I can think of that could introduce that much voltage to the system is something shorting in the ignition system but the engine runs smoothly and I still don't see how that much voltage could even possibly get to the k line with key on engine off. Any ideas??

I, recently, saw a 70 volt squarewave on a communication line. :woohoo: After pulling my hair trying to understand it, I realized that channel B of my Pico was on a X10 setting, instead of X1. :whistle: Not that this is your problem, but if you are using a scope, it's something to check.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds