Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Post cat O2 sensors

More
4 years 9 months ago #32904 by Griggs
Post cat O2 sensors was created by Griggs
A generic and specific question.

Generic. Do 4 wire post cat O2 sensors use the heater constantly or does it switch on / off?

Specific. Car in question is a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L. MIL light on and scanner showing DTC for bank 1 sensor 2 heater inactive. Live data showed OS2 heater as constantly inactive, constant 450mV output. Sensor replaced and DTC cleared. With new sensor in place and scan tool reconnected initially the DTC returned, live data shows the constant 450mV output still and the heater shows mostly inactive and briefly switches to active every few minutes. I've cleared the DTC again and got the battery disconnected to reset ECU so hoping when reconnected all will be well but not sure if the heater circuit should be switching as it is.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #32906 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Post cat O2 sensors

Griggs wrote: Do 4 wire post cat O2 sensors use the heater constantly or does it switch on / off?

It depends. :silly: Different makes will have different strategies for their downstream heaters. Nissan, for example, usually won't run their downstream heaters at all at idle. GM will run their heaters at idle, but at a varying pulse width.

Specific. Car in question is a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L. MIL light on and scanner showing DTC for bank 1 sensor 2 heater inactive. Live data showed OS2 heater as constantly inactive, constant 450mV output.

What's the code, specifically? We want to know if the code it setting because the ECM detects a heater circuit problem, or it's watching the O2 signal and inferring heater performance.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griggs

More
4 years 9 months ago #32908 by Griggs
Replied by Griggs on topic Post cat O2 sensors

Tyler wrote:
What's the code, specifically? We want to know if the code it setting because the ECM detects a heater circuit problem, or it's watching the O2 signal and inferring heater performance.

Thanks Tyler. Afraid I have to hang my head in shame and admit schoolboy error that in my haste I didn't write down the code :blush: :blush:

Battery reconnected now and code not returned. Watching live data it appears that the heater is switched as described above at idle, as RPM and mV output raised then the heater spends more time in active mode.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32909 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Post cat O2 sensors
Maybe it just needed a reset before it'll recheck the O2 heater circuit? :huh: Sounds like you're good to go!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Griggs

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds