× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Honda B16A Distributor Ignition Timing problem

• Crombie
  • Topic Author
More
14 Aug 2019 16:50 #32817 by Crombie
Hi all, Im back with the same fault. When I use the timing gun on the pulley it was off advanced pretty far. The Distributor was retarded all the way, and still was like 30 degrees Advanced. So I checked cams and crank timing again, I stuck ratchet extension into Cylinder 1, and at TDC, all the timing marks lined up. I've had the valve cover off before and checked 4 times too. I heard there could be play in the crank pulley it wasn't that. So I filed off the 3 distributor bolt holes, and now the timing is only 3-4 degree advanced, and runs alot better, sounds happy, except when warming up it has a big dip in power like a major misfire, struggles a bit, then runs pretty well, much better than before. When using the timing gun it doesn't seem to go retarded warming up, I thought id see the ECU adjust it, then go near base timing, I will check this again when its cold to make sure.
The only discrepancy I can see is there are two white wires to the Distributor, that I wired up to the old wiring, one is for the Igniter, and the other for part of the crank sensor. In theory could these be the wrong way round and the car runs? As both send signals? Theres nothing else I can think of other than maybe the cylinder head was decked too far. I've attached the Distributor wiring picture

thanks, Stu
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Today 23:19 #32940 by Paul6004
Replied by Paul6004 on topic Honda B16A Distributor Ignition Timing problem
Are the leads possibly all one hole out? Maybe you can change the timing by moving all the leads one hole forward which will retard timing by 90 degrees and possibly allow for correct adjustment?.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds