Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2016 Chevy Malibu 1.5, Timing settings request

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #32497 by forumoto
Good morning all Scanner Danner members-:

I have this 2016 Chevy Malibu 1.5 turbo, which the sprocket got losed and the timing jumped, but luckily no infection to the valves...

New sprocket and tension is in with chain, I need help on the position of the cam lobes or how to get it set, pictures will be okay,

There is pretension in each side of the sprocket but I just want to follow a good guide as the camshaft has some free play in the sprocket

I have added some pictures of how I set the chain, but when I turn the engine, the cams does jump

I seriously needed help, is it okay to get the free play in the camshaft sprocket, while you hold the cam, you can turn the sprocket actuator with you hand and you will feel the free play spring tension in it.. but I thought cam shaft should move with sprocket without such play?

Christ De Way Maker
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by forumoto. Reason: Adding pictures
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32519 by tim.smith1
Not sure how to answer this but I will try..........is the play coming from the mechanical part of the cam sprocket or from where the cam sprocket bolts to the cam shaft? I have done a lot of timing jobs over the years and most times when a sprocket comes off the cam has wear on it where the sprocket bolts on and needs to be replaced?
The following user(s) said Thank You: forumoto, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 7 months ago #32532 by forumoto
It is coming from the mechanical
Part of the cam sprocket , inside, there is some spring inside that tension when you hold the head by hand and turn it, I doubt that thing should turn after tightening it to torque

Christ De Way Maker

More
4 years 7 months ago #32543 by tim.smith1
do both of the gears do the same thing?

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #32544 by tim.smith1
those gear are also cam phasers or actuators depending on what you want to call them they do move to change the timing i am just not sure if you should be able to move them that is why i am asking if the other one moves also?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by tim.smith1.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32575 by forumoto
Yes, both moves,

Christ De Way Maker

More
4 years 7 months ago #32577 by PDM
Can someone look up a service procedure for this? I know Fords are locked when you install them. These may be free until they fill with oil the first time.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32586 by tim.smith1
here is what alldata says
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: forumoto, aboudi.naddaf

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #50467 by e.p
I'm new at this forum and I'm trying to do some work on the timing chain of my 2017 chevy malibu ls 1.5 t, the name vacuum pump broke and when i replaced it notice that the pieces fell inside the engine so I had to open it to take the pieces out all things considered i think I did a good job but when i start the car again i got a check engine light p0014 code and the engine reduced power message so I tried replacing the VVT sensors and checked the wiring but no luck there, the next thingwas to check if the timing chain was correct so i took off the valve cover again and noticed that it might be off time and it looks like it's not, I'll try to upload photos, I've found the document on the procedure to replace the timing chain very helpful but by any chance do you have something explaining the procedure to remove and reinstall ha timing cover?, I'll alleviate if you have or any helpful input you can give me about it. Thanks.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by e.p.

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds