Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1999 Ford ranger charging problem

More
4 years 8 months ago #32485 by Carfreek
I just had a battery go bad and replaced it. Now the ranger only charges 11.9 volts. Does anyone have a diagram of the charging system. Was told a battery going bad could damage a alternator
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32501 by Chad

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #32507 by Carfreek
Thank you. Is it possible to have a good alternator charging 2 volts low from bad battery connections or corroded connections at alternator. Does voltage at I terminal turn regulator on and off?

More
4 years 8 months ago #32513 by Cheryl
Sounds like a voltage drop issue. You have a multimeter go from battery negative to alternator case should see below .2 of a volt. Then go from battery positive to alternator battery cable stud. Should see below .5 Volts

More
4 years 8 months ago #32514 by Chad

Carfreek wrote: Is it possible to have a good alternator charging 2 volts low from bad battery connections or corroded connections at alternator.

I would say "Not likely". :unsure: Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If you had a bad/corroded connection at Terminal A (YEL/WHT), you might see less voltage than the alternator is really producing.

Does voltage at I terminal turn regulator on and off?

No. Terminal "A" (YEL/WHT) is the voltage sensing circuit. All the "I" terminal does is control the warning light in the instrument cluster. Power comes from the battery, through fuse 15, to the warning light. When the alternator is charging, it also sends power to the bulb on the "I" terminal (lt grn/red). Receiving power from both sides (the bulb), the difference in potential is near zero, so the bulb does not light. But when the alternator is NOT charging, The "I" terminal will be near zero volts (ground). Now, there is enough difference in potential across the bulb for it to light.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32515 by Cheryl
Are you talking about this specific setup? Or is it possible for any alternator to not charge from connection issues. That’s what I thought you were asking

More
4 years 8 months ago #32521 by Carfreek
My truck has the volt meter in dash no light

More
4 years 8 months ago #32523 by Chad

Cheryl wrote: Sounds like a voltage drop issue. You have a multimeter go from battery negative to alternator case should see below .2 of a volt. Then go from battery positive to alternator battery cable stud. Should see below .5 Volts

I would test as Cheryl suggested. If you have no voltage drop, and the system voltage is low, it is safe to say the alternator is not charging. Check for battery voltage at Terminal "A"

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds