Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

97 Ford Expedition 2WD 4.6L. Looking for advice/input on fuel pump brands

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #32431 by horn1991
hello,

Having diagnosed a weak fuel pump (thanks to ScannerDanner’s videos), I would like any input/experience/advice on what aftermarket fuel pump I should (or shouldn’t) choose.

It will be going on a ‘97 Ford Expedition, 2WD, 4.6L, with 260,000 miles. It is still limping along on the original fuel pump, if you can believe that. :-)

I’ve generally always gone with Motorcraft parts. But a new Motorcraft pump is significantly more than many after market pumps, like Delphi or Airtex.

Just wanted to hear from anyone that has good/bad experiences with pumps from the many aftermarket suppliers. Maybe you all have a brand that you’ve installed with no problem, or possibly there is a brand most would definitely stay away from.

Thanks.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by horn1991.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32440 by tim.smith1
motorcraft if at all possible airtex and spectra would be the worst imo delphi is an oe pump for many car manufactures so i guess that would be second on the list for me
The following user(s) said Thank You: horn1991

More
4 years 7 months ago #32447 by Tyler
Agree with Tim - MC really would be the best way to go. I spend way too much of my time at work chasing aftermarket parts. :(

Delphi if MC isn't an option. NO stand alone pumps, assemblies only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horn1991

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 7 months ago #32462 by Noah

Tyler wrote: Agree with Tim - MC really would be the best way to go. I spend way too much of my time at work chasing aftermarket parts. :(

Delphi if MC isn't an option. NO stand alone pumps, assemblies only.

Good point! It can be tempting to change just the pump when confronted with the price difference

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim.smith1

More
4 years 7 months ago #32465 by horn1991
Thanks for the input, folks. I was probably never going to get anything but a Motorcraft hanger assembly. Just wanted to hear that from others. :-)

More
4 years 7 months ago #32555 by horn1991
I’ve run into a bit of a problem hunting down the correct pump. Depending upon what site I search, I either get Motorcraft PFS50 or PFS51 as the correct pump assembly. Heck, they may be identical. Hoping one of ya’ll can answer this question. Just some more info on my Exp. It’s a VIN 6 (Windsor), 4.6, XLT. Standard suspension. 2WD.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32560 by tim.smith1
I would call your Ford dealer parts department and give them your vin they should be able to tell you what Ford part number fits your truck then use that Ford number to find the correct motorcraft number with the Ford number they gave you.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32574 by Tyler
RockAuto distinguishes the PFS50 for 4WD, so I'm thinking the PFS51 is for 2WD. Unfortunately, RA doesn't stock the PFS51 any more. :silly:

More
4 years 7 months ago #32576 by PDM

Tyler wrote: RockAuto distinguishes the PFS50 for 4WD, so I'm thinking the PFS51 is for 2WD. Unfortunately, RA doesn't stock the PFS51 any more. :silly:

PFS51 is listed under fuel tank sending unit. It does look like they are on closeout.

www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1997,ex...l+sending+unit,4436#

More
4 years 7 months ago #32579 by horn1991
Actually, after a long chat with Ford, looks like it is the PFS50. There is a front and rear facing float apparently. Depending upon when your vehicle was built (before or after April 1997) will determine which one, according to them. Mine is the PFS50, even though it's 2WD. We'll see which one I have when I pull it out of the tank. It hasn't failed yet, but it will.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds