Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

My personal car and a weird symptom

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #32300 by Deltron
SO.. My 2003 Accord 2.4L 5spd has been having a weird thing going on, that is progressively getting a tiny bit worse over months.

When taking off from a dead stop, and only when taking off from a dead stop, the entire car surges while you're in the 2k RPM range, somewhere around vtec activation, in 1st and 2nd gear only. There is no measureable decrease in RPM or output shaft speed and my datalog didn't show anything interesting while monitoring the vtec system, EGR and MAP. You actually jerk back in forth in the seat a bit. Increasing throttle seems to make the problem go away but I believe that's a side effect of RPM and not throttle %. I'm convinced my problem lays in the vtec system but I'm unsure how to proceed. I was thinking of amp-clamping the solenoid and seeing if I could see the thing bouncing on and off but I'm unsure if it's even capable of failing in that manner.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Deltron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32301 by cj1
If VTEC disconnected do you have same surge?

More
4 years 8 months ago #32302 by Deltron
I inadvertently tested this a couple months back. I had an oil leak from the solenoid so I unbolted it and bought a new gasket and screens. Bolted it all up and forgot to plug it in. She won't go past 2200 while that solenoid is unplugged. Almost like a fuel cut off or something.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32381 by Tutti57
Are you sure it's engine related? Could it be something out of balance?

Nissan Technician - ASE L1 Master Tech

More
4 years 8 months ago #32441 by Deltron
There is a slight concern in the back of my mind that it's somehow clutch related, but I feel like that's a long shot. Dunno really. I do know for a fact that my trans mount is garbage but again, to me seems like a long shot. I suppose at this point it's better to get a good mount in there and see.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32448 by simclardy
Reminds me if my cutlass cruiser 1990. The throttle cable was grabbing a bit and i had a bad engine support on the top, under certain loads i would get a weird surging. Took me while to figure it out. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds