Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

AC FOT system help FIXED

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #32196 by John Curtis
A friend asked me to take a look at their AC and I don’t know much about AC Systems other than the electrical side of things and very basic theory of operation. The AC works when driving but sometimes gets warm at slower speeds or at idle. I checked fans and the AC clutch is working also checked the condenser for blockage. So I hooked up gauges while ambient air is 90 the low side is 70 and the high side is about 340. Both the high and low are high which makes me think it’s overcharged initially however are there any other variables that can cause high reading on both high and low? I was told it hasn’t been touched but The gauges seem to tell me otherwise. If it is just an overcharge it’s gonna have to go to a shop with a recovery machine but I want to do my due diligence.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by John Curtis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32197 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic AC FOT system help
What is the pressure in both sides compared to abient with engine off and cooled down ? There are other things that can cause this issue such much oil as a cooling fan speed issue or the fins corroded on the condenser or too much PAG oil from.top up cans filling up the condenser

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
4 years 8 months ago #32206 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic AC FOT system help
Agree with Andy, checking the system pressures after it's had time to rest can help ID a plugged orifice tube or TXV. The pressures should equalize pretty quickly on a working system.

Which vehicle is this, specifically?
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
4 years 8 months ago #33019 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic AC FOT system help
It needed up being air in the system. Had it evacuated and replaced a line. Then had it recharged. Thanks for all the help.

Is there any recommendations on where or who I can learn more about using AC diagnostic gauges? I absolutely need to learn this through and through and have more than a basic understanding of the systems.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds