Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

04 GM 3.8 MAF circuit testing

More
4 years 9 months ago #32192 by m1keyp92
Quick question on condemning this MAF sensor. Neighbor asked me to check his MIL on a Buick 3.8 (LeSabre I believe). Found a P0102, scan tool displays 0g/s at all RPM ranges. Had battery voltage when measuring across the pink and black and 5v measuring across the yellow signal wire and ground. I did not have my DVOM that measures Hz with me, so my question is, is the 5v on the signal wire and the battery voltage across the power and ground wires to the 3-way connector enough to confirm circuit integrity and condemn the sensor? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32201 by Andy.MacFadyen
The short answer is I don't know it is one of those jobs you really need to some idea of the signal frequency As you suspect it could very likely be the output isn't getting controlled by the internal circuit in the MAF but there is an outside chance it could be internal to the pcm . Stuck wothout tools I would gamble on a MAF but like you would feel uneasy until I saw it working.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 9 months ago #32202 by m1keyp92
Yeah I felt uneasy also. But I thought about it and figured if the 5v was there the MAF should pull it down. I'll bring my other dvom home and double check. thanks.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32210 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 04 GM 3.8 MAF circuit testing
You're likely safe to install a new MAF, but I have a couple questions. Were your voltage readings taken while backprobing the sensor, or disconnected? Engine off, or running?

More
4 years 9 months ago #32231 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic 04 GM 3.8 MAF circuit testing
Most likely it does need a MAF, but I'll take some readings on my pontiac 3800 and let you know

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #32251 by m1keyp92
front probe key on engine off. my good dvom and backprobes were all at work. also with engine running reading was the same. i didn't see any point in checking frequency at the time since i had a 0g/s reading on the scan tool but I later had afterthoughts that it wasn't a 100% call.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by m1keyp92.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds