Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

not accelerating--bogging

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31873 by emo666
My normally dependable 1989 ford ranger 2.9 with 114,000 is not running good . It all started on a really hot day (around 90 degrees) it ran and started good all day till I drove about 30 miles then on the way home the starter won't turn over enough to get it started when I stopped to get fuel. Luckily there was a tow truck stopped for gas also --so he had a battery pack--we almost gave up but then it started . the rest of way home it had no power- it just sounded like a big four barrel sucking air when you floor it--but would not go over 35 mph. I runs and starts fine idles forever but has no power. Have changed the coil and the distributor module. It shows no engine light . the engine revs good and sounds good. Haven't checked for clogged cat yet but think it's electrical or ground???? It's never been real snappy but it's about half it's power now . Where do I check now?? Forgot---we checked fuel pump pressure also -good at 40psi . my scanner is not working so got no codes-- not good at counting pleeps Never showed overheating problem on gage. next week we're changing starter, checking cat for back pressure, changing oxygen sensor. This seems to be heat related somewhere.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by emo666. Reason: add more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cheryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31891 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic not accelerating--bogging
Does it have a mass air flow sensor? Or just a map sensor? I can’t remember that long ago. I’d check the mag sensor. Sounds like it’s gunning lean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds