Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 Mitsubishi Mirage IAC Replcement

More
4 years 9 months ago #31753 by popoften
I need to replace this IAC motor, as discovered by following scannerdanner’s diagnostic procedures.

Problem is, the screws holding the old IAC to the throttle body absolutely will not budge. I have already started to strip one of them. I know I need to try penetrating oil, but once that doesn’t work (sorry about my pessimism) what else can I try?

Thanks, Pop

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31776 by Tyler
You'll probably have to get medieval on these screws. :evil: I have some ideas, but you'll probably end up replacing those screws by the time you're done.

First idea is to use a cutting wheel to cut a single slot in the screw head. Make the cut as square as possible. That'll allow you to use a bigger flat head screwdriver, or maybe even a couple gentle taps from an impact driver.

Speaking of, if you haven't tried an impact driver yet, it's definitely worth a shot.

www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-7-Piece/dp/B000NPPATS/

Next would be to (gently) put the TB in a vice and use a small chisel and hammer on the edge of the screw head to get it turning. I've done the same thing many times with an air hammer and chisel bit. The vibrations from the air hammer often help to break the screw loose.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31822 by popoften
Thanks, Tytler! I ended up taking it to a guy I hired to get them out. He used a cordless Makita Impact Driver. I hadn't thought of that route. He had to bear down pretty hard, but the screws did come out cleanly. I have the new IAC on the TB, now I just need to get the TB back on the car.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31923 by popoften
And car is now all back together and idling and running like a champ. THANKS GUYS!

More
4 years 8 months ago #32209 by popoften
I forgot to add that the throttle body was VERY DIRTY. I am amazed the car ran at all. I gave it a good cleaning while I had it out.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32212 by Tyler
Nice fix, sir! B) Just be careful - you got it idling right, now they'll expect it to run right...

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds