ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2007 Toyota Avensis, runs out of fuel pressure

• Desmond6004
  • Desmond6004's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Jul 2019 00:02 #31654 by Desmond6004
Vehicle starts and after 20 seconds dies. 2AZ-FSE engine
Fault codes were P0191 and P0192 for fuel rail pressure performance.
In live data the fuel rail pressure sits at around 9Mpa at idle and fluctuates up and down with STFT then after a while just dies away.
The fuel pump gets power for about 5 seconds as you start cranking, then it drops to nothing until the car dies 15 seconds later.
As soon as it dies it gets another 5 second pulse. If I supply power to the fuel pump permanently it keeps running.
No fault codes have returned during testing but I found one diagram for a Corolla that suggests it relies on the crank sensor pulse to
keep running. UNLESS: the pump is only supposed to provide initial pressure then it relies on suction[? not likely???].
There were no codes for the crank sensor and the vehicle runs fine but in the morning I will scope it because an ecu is
as clever as the person who programmed it.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Desmond6004
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Jul 2019 15:14 #31675 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2007 Toyota Avensis, runs out of fuel pressure
On our local forum someone has alerted me to the fact that the 1AZ-FSE and 2AZ-FSE are both prone to the rail pressure sensor shorting internally and causing issues like this so I have a new one on its way.

More
10 Jul 2019 15:39 #31678 by PDM
9Mpa is beyond the capability of the fuel system. I'd say that verifies the codes that say there is a sensor fault. I think you're on the right track. If rail pressure is reading high, it's going to slow down the pump and cause your problem.

• Desmond6004
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Jul 2019 16:13 #31679 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2007 Toyota Avensis, runs out of fuel pressure
Are you sure that is too high? If I leave the engine running with an external power supply to the fuel pump it runs fine with no fault codes.
What is bothering me is that they are telling me that when the pressure sensor shorts it kills the 5v feed and communication with the ECU and
brings up faults for all the sensors with that 5v feed. That is not happening here.
In live data when it is running the fuel rail pressure stays constant, nothing shorting out. When I scope the power supply to the fuel pump though
I see it get power for a few seconds while cranking, and a few seconds after, then it just loses its power supply and the engine slowly loses pressure
and dies. Just after it dies it gets a few seconds of power to the fuel pump again for some reason.
I've had it idling for 10 minutes now with external power to the fuel pump and rail pressure has been constant the whole time, no indication of
anything shorting out - if I remove the power supply to the fuel pump it will die after about 10 seconds.

Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2019 19:48 #31690 by Paul6004
Replied by Paul6004 on topic 2007 Toyota Avensis, runs out of fuel pressure
There is a second fuel pump relay connected across a ballast resistor to lower voltage while running, but give full
voltage when cranking. The relay goes open circuit once the vehicle starts which lets the pump run on a reduced voltage
after starting, but full voltage to make up for cranking voltage drop when starting.
The ballast was in the front behind the left headlight and hadn't been plugged back in properly.
Now that it's hooked up properly again the problem is solved.
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2019 19:58 #31691 by PDM
That’s the first thing that crossed my mind since I just replaced the resistor on my Pontiac Grand Prix

9Mpa is about 1300 psi

More
10 Jul 2019 20:20 #31692 by PDM
I’m sure it’s possible the scan tool is just misreading the PID. Shouldn’t that system run at less than 100 psi?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.698 seconds