Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No Start No Crank

More
4 years 9 months ago #31489 by GAMKA
No Start No Crank was created by GAMKA
2009/10 JK, any advice on how to, or not to fix this. I found the YouTube videos very helpful, especially the practical approach to tracing faults, but nothing prepared me for this. Thanx for a great site and excellent videos
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31492 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic No Start No Crank
For our reference, where on the vehicle was that picture taken? How easy is it to access and manipulate that harness?

Everyone will repair those wires differently, so you'll get varying answers. ;) In your case, I'd be inclined to use bare butt connectors, quality shrink tubing and some 18ga wire (guessing from your pictures). You'll get strong connections and great weather resistance. Dead simple to install. Available for cheap on Amazon.

Pick one damaged wire and cut out as much damage as needed to get down to clean copper. Guestimate how much length of wire you'll need to join the two ends, leaving a bit extra because mistakes happen. :silly: Strip the wire ends, slide some tubing over, install the butt connectors and shrink the tubing up.

Then, wrap it all up in tape/fabric/conduit and zip tie as needed to make sure it won't rub on anything. But before that, crank the engine to make sure you fixed it. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GAMKA

More
4 years 9 months ago #31493 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic No Start No Crank
For different colours of suitable wire you could buy a short length of trailer and strip. If you use crimp connectors buy/borrow a proper set of crimping pliers.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 9 months ago #31494 by Tyler
Agreed on the pliers. I've been using the Snap-On equivalent of these for years, love 'em.

www.amazon.com/OTC-5950A-Crimpro-Angled-Service/dp/B00CDDBAQU/

More
4 years 9 months ago #31495 by GAMKA
Replied by GAMKA on topic No Start No Crank
...this surprise was under the TIPM

More
4 years 9 months ago #31500 by Tyler

GAMKA wrote: ...this surprise was under the TIPM

Well, at least it's not under the car? :silly: Were these rubbed through, or do you suspect a rodent problem?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31523 by GAMKA
Far right in the engine bay (facing the Jeep) on a right-hand drive underneath the TIPM (i.o.w., between the battery and the computer.) I've taken out the TIPM to get to it. I since removed the battery as well and loosened that whole '(battery, TIPM) tray' to move it a bit out of the way in order to have better access. Thanks for your advice.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31524 by GAMKA
No rodents, that is purely as a result of chafing/rubbing againdt the body.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds