Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

AC blower pulling voltage down

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31466 by jerry r
2002 Mercury Villager 3.3, my question is it possible for a bad blower fan , to pull charging voltage down to 12 volts. its drawing about 19 amps.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by jerry r.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31467 by Andy.MacFadyen
Fans take huge electrical load bit this sounds like an alternator issue, is the idle speed normal ?

There are simple tests you can do but before testing it is important to check the battery has a good level of charge.

You can check the level of charge by measuring the voltage across the battery with the engine and everything else switched off this is called the open circuit voltage.

With engine running you would not expect to see below 13v. At 13.1v all the electrical loads are just being met but the battery is not getting any charge put back into it at all.

To get a true reading either measure this voltage after the vehicle has been parked for a few hours or if the engine has running turn the engine off and turn on the lights for two minutes or so, then switch the lights off.

Doing this strips the surface (false) charge off the battery and you can now check the voltage across the battery, if you read more than 12.4v you can test the alternator.

Normally no matter how many electrical loads are on the voltage at idle speed should never be below the battery's open circuit voltage.

At idle speed with no extra electrical loads on battery voltage should normally be in the range 13.4 to 14.5. increase the RPM to 2000 to 3000 and the voltage may increase but not above 14.9 volts. Normally at 2,000 RPM or above on average expect to see 14.0 to 14.4 volts.

Now repeat the test but with the head lights on and heater blower on at medium speed voltage should not drop below 13.1v at any point.

Finally with the engine at about 2,000 to 3,000 quickly switch off the lights heater and any other electrical electrical loads, at no point should the battery voltage go above 14.9 volts.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31468 by jerry r
Strange thing is that ,I can turn on all other loads besides the blower that includes the rear defrost the voltage does not drop below . 13.4, the moment I turn on the blower with the lights on and that's all the voltage starts to drop below battery voltage.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31469 by Andy.MacFadyen

jerry r wrote: Strange thing is that ,I car but i turn on all other loads besides the blower that includes the rear defrost the voltage does not drop below . 13.4, the moment I turn on the blower with the lights on and that's all the voltage starts to drop below battery voltage.

Alternators on modern cars are rated in the 80 to 160 amp minimum so it shouldn't be an issue. Fan motors do tend to draw more current as they get older but if it was way over spec I would expect it to blow a fuse. I would assume it has the smart charge system.
I'm not that expert on Ford Smart charging systems but to me that looks an issue in the lternator itself, there is a by-pass test for the system I will use the Google machine and post it,.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31470 by Andy.MacFadyen
The quick and dirty check on the alternator is simply to disconnect the 3 pin connector with this discconnected the alternator should produce a constat 13.75v as log as it is meeting the load.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jerry r

More
4 years 9 months ago #31471 by jerry r
I would assume it would blow the fuse also it seem that the rear defrost it rated at the same amps

More
4 years 9 months ago #31473 by jerry r
it dropped to 12.9

More
4 years 9 months ago #31474 by jerry r
seems like it only drops with the blower on ,but not with anything eles

More
4 years 9 months ago #31478 by Tyler
Does it only dip into the 12V range with the blower on at idle? As in, you turn the blower on, and you start seeing 12.8/9 at the battery? Does the same reading improve if you raise the engine speed off idle?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31480 by Cheryl
Is the battery light coming on?? If it was mine and lights aren’t dimming it battery light is coming on I’d be fine.!

More
4 years 9 months ago #31481 by jerry r
yes at idle with the blower on,yes is rises with rpm increase .now the indicator light isn't coming. looks a like another bad alternator ,brought 3 remans all bad, thats why I thought I was over looking something.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31482 by Tyler
Try another brand, if you have one available? I dunno how labor intensive these are to replace.

Really, though, the behavior you're describing sounds fairly typical of Ford/Mercury products of that generation. Even the Nissan crossovers. ;) Almost none can stay above 13V with headlights and the blower on at idle. Raising the engine speed off idle allows the alternator to reach maximum output, which it usually can't do at idle.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31483 by jerry r
at times it dropped to 12.3 I believe it would keep dropping if I didn't turn the blower off. No indicator light is not coming on even with initial key on bulb check

More
4 years 9 months ago #31488 by Tyler

jerry r wrote: No indicator light is not coming on even with initial key on bulb check

Was it always that way? Did did the indicator ever work with any of the other alternators?

How easy is it to get to the alternator connector?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31497 by jerry r
yes it was working before. .I tested it and it works all the way from the back on the alternator.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31499 by Tyler
You can make the charging indicator turn on from the alternator connector? Then your latest 'new' alternator sucks. :angry: :silly:

More
4 years 9 months ago #31501 by jerry r
yea it dose, but after a third one I started to doubt my ability

More
4 years 9 months ago #31502 by Cheryl
Just a quick question have you checked body grounds? From battery negative to say the strut tower? With the blower motor on??

More
4 years 9 months ago #31507 by jerry r
yes I checked both grounds at the alternator, not even 100 millivolts of a drop

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31525 by Andy.MacFadyen
A quick test, put the loads on and check the voltage as you slowly increase the rpm from idle speed note the rpm at which the voltage crosses over 13 volts.

I suspect the engine computer is not controlling the alternator and the regulator built into the alternator is working in back up mode. From experience of British Ford models I would examine the wiring to the 3 pin connector on the alternator.

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds