Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

charging problems

More
4 years 8 months ago #31429 by kenth
charging problems was created by kenth
I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty with 92000 miles on it, one day when I got to work my battery was dead so I took and had a new one put in. A week later my battery was dead again so I took in and was told the alternator was bad so I put it on new but have had no luck at all sense.
Now the battery light comes on after driving a few minutes along with the ABS and all the other lights on the dash sometimes when I give it gas the engine stays high RPM and now its like its in a safety gear that it wont shift into a higher gear.
This all started with the battery and has been going down hill from there, I think it could be a ground because all those systems couldn't go out that fast but not sure where to go from here does anyone have any knowledge about this problem any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31430 by kenth
Replied by kenth on topic charging problems
I should add that the Jeep self diagnosis system says its not getting power from the new alternator I did have the new one replaced and then the new new one checked 3 times so the alternator is good and same story with the battery they have said 4 times that its bad but how in 3 weeks could all have been bad I even went to another store to make sure it was not just a bad batch of batteries received by the store

More
4 years 8 months ago #31431 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic charging problems
Sounds like a parasitic draw.
But start with the basics. Use a multimeter to test battery voltage with the engine off. Set your meter to a 20v DC scale it Should be about 12.4v to 12.7 with engine off.

Then start the car and see what happens with the voltage. Should read higher than your previous readings but not too high.
Report back your findings.

If it is reading higher then your alternator is charging.

The test would be for parasitic draw and can be done a number of different ways depending on your tools and the vehicle you’re testing you might consider different methods. We can help you with that here. You can also take a look at some videos for parasitic draw on YouTube. I think danner has a video on it, south main auto has a few videos on it and pine hollow auto diagnostics has videos on it.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenth

More
4 years 8 months ago #31432 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic charging problems
You said the battery light is now coming on when driving?? I think you started out with a parasitic drain and added the problem with the alternator. The original complaint was a battery dying not a battery light. Have you checked output of the alternator when the light comes on??

More
4 years 8 months ago #31443 by kenth
Replied by kenth on topic charging problems
yes when I first start it the power coming from the alt is like 11.3 and then its the same when the light comes on its like it has a constant draw on the system but the ground is all I can see it coming from because its putting up all these idiot lights for everything.
When they replaced the battery I'm wondering if the battery was the problem at all and instead it was a grounding issue from the start and it keeps getting progressively worse as time goes on.
I did notice when they replaced the battery for the second time the battery cables were hot they haven't been sense but they did heat up

More
4 years 8 months ago #31453 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic charging problems
As others have suggested, you need to start with some basic voltage tests on the charging system. Just an open circuit voltage check across the battery is not enough.

Using a DMM to do the measurements, you'll be able to determine if you truly do have a ground problem, AND why the cable ends are getting hot.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31460 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic charging problems
I read your post earlier but wanted time to consider it.
An arcing electrical connection on the alternator wiring can drive the charging system and other modules wild this fits with the connectors getting hot, where you get heat it indicates a bad connection due to resistance or arcing or excessive current.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds