Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2004 Toyota 4runner V6 - fuel pump problems

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31326 by Zverka
I am travelling around south america for about 2.5 years now in my Toyota 4Runner. It is 2004 Toyota 4runner V6 with automatic transmission, 389.000 km.

Last year in march, with 373.000 km I had to change my fuel pump in Peru. I had previously been in Bolivia which is known to have really bad quality of fuel. At that moment they could only provide me with a Chinese made fuel pump.

Then in July, same year, it died on me again. This time with 378.000 km in Colombia. So I changed it again, this time for Denso. I thought it my be the fault of Chines quality.

Now I am in Ecuador, and guess what - fuel pump died again with 389.000 km on the clock.

Now, I will change it again, but the question is - what do you guys think is causing this constant failure?
Before the first fuel pump breakdown I did around 40.000 km with no problems. Mechanics here say the problem might be in difference in quality of gasoline between all this countries, not in octanes, but more like in lead in fuel.

Than you in advance for your replies.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Zverka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31344 by Andy.MacFadyen
I think the electcal system for the pump needs checking over as s open in the wiring making and braking contact could cause voltage spikes that burn out the pump and do a careful check for debris in the tank and make sure the suction filter screen is fitted to the pump.

Of course it could be you were unlucky and picked up a fake part but the failures are too regular for that.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 8 months ago #31587 by Zverka
Firstly, thank you Andy for your reply.

I went to local mechanic and explained the problem. After checking the pressure from the pump, which was around 25 and dropped to 0 as soon as we turned off the key, the culprit was fuel pump. So I ordered new one.

After I came to pick the car up, the mechanic explained that I was lacking a part of the fuel pump assembly. It is a plastic part that comes somewhere between fuel pump and suction filter. And because I was lacking this part the pump was somehow misbehaving. Because in next two weeks I will drive to Chile (cca 5500 km) we still changed the pump, although the old one, when tested with plastic part added produced almost the same pressure. Obviously in some previous fuel pump change they forgot to put this plastic part back in, and all of the next mechanics did not bother to properly check the fuel pump assembly scheme.

Well, I hope this will be the end of my problems ;)

Thank you and safe driving.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds