Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

99 GMC Jimmy Starting issue

More
4 years 9 months ago #31176 by Mort
Working on a 99 GMC Jimmy 4.3 4WD did an engine swap on the jimmy got everything back together tried to start it and it cranks but doesn't start, however if I put fuel down the intake and crank it it will start and run. It is not throwing any codes so I am sort of at a loss as to wear to start the troubleshooting Any ideas out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31177 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 99 GMC Jimmy Starting issue
You have fuel pressure??

More
4 years 9 months ago #31183 by Mort
Replied by Mort on topic 99 GMC Jimmy Starting issue
I haven't put a gage to it. I am thinking the fuel pump was the culprit, but wouldn't it throw a code for low fuel pressure

More
4 years 9 months ago #31184 by Cheryl
Doubt it. It’s to old for that

More
4 years 9 months ago #31189 by Mort
I'll check the fuel pressure when I get home Sunday

More
4 years 9 months ago #31192 by Cheryl
Might check the grounds. Is the frame grounded? Cause if not the pump won’t have a ground

More
4 years 9 months ago #31247 by Mort
Ok Turning the switch to the on position, fuel pressure is 55 psi. when cranking it drops to 40 psi. I can zero it out and turn the switch on and it jumps to 55 psi So to me this indicates the fuel pump is working. Shut the switch off and it starts to drop off. Am I correct in assuming this indicates a bad fuel regulator?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31250 by Cheryl
That cranking pressure is way to low. The popper valves won’t open on the injectors.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31270 by Mort
If my gauge is is showing 55 psi with the switch on but drops off when cranking is that not indicative of a bad fuel regulator?? The battery is new and my customer says there is a new fuel pump in the tank.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31272 by jreardon
Fuel Pressure is low. Is your the SFI or CSI (spider injectors) ? Pinch off the return line switch key to on position and see if pump is strong enough to push the psi roughly 80-90 psi. If this pump passes this test, then change the regulator. Don't forget to change out the fuel filter while you're there.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31284 by Mort
Thank you for that info. I was looking for a way to check the Regulator and couldn't find it in my manual..

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds