Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crank no start.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31153 by Jansa
Crank no start. was created by Jansa
I'm working in a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9l gas engine. I just did a motor swap with a good running engine out of my 1996 dodge ram 1500 and I keep getting a cam sensor fault code. The truck turns over fine but will not spark. I checked my power, ground, and sensor wires and while unplugged have 5.2v, .01v, and 5.2v. As soon as I plug any of the (3) cam sensors in my signal voltage drops to .06. This is with the sensors out and away from and ferrous material. When i do put ferrous metal againat the sesor, signal voltage remains .06. What would cause this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31173 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Crank no start.
What do you mean any of the 3 cam sensors??

More
4 years 9 months ago #31174 by Cheryl
Isn’t the cam sensor in the distributor?? If I remember right

More
4 years 9 months ago #31181 by Jansa
Replied by Jansa on topic Crank no start.
Yes it's in the distributor.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31182 by Jansa
I've tried 3 different can sensors so far. I have them all still

More
4 years 9 months ago #31185 by Cheryl
They used?? Or new?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31188 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic Crank no start.
3 cam sensors from the same manufacturer? Where'd you get them?

Please ensure colors are correct and fill out this picture.

Did the signal budge even slightly as you passed the metal object near it?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31194 by Jansa
They are used. That could be the issue however. The one that was already on the engine before I swapped them never had issues prior. The 96 started every time. The only reason I even pulled the engine is because the 97 has a much nicer body and the front differential on the 96 went out. This leads me to believe it's not a cam sensor actually causing the issue.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31195 by Jansa
Yes those colors are correct and no the signal didn't even budge slightly as the metal was passed over or tapped against any of the cam sensors I have. If it helps the previous owner of the 97 put a rod through his engine and locked it up. Could that have shorted the crank sensor causing it to possibly throw a faulty cam code due to the signal being pulled down?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31197 by jreardon
If you have good power and ground with the sensor connected and you can't simulate a signal with ferrous material then it's a bad cam sensor. The fact that signal is low all the time indicates a shorted sensor.

I am unfamiliar with how this cam sensor looks like but if you pulled it out like in this video then you've found your issue.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfdHXL-bPg&t=2128

More
4 years 9 months ago #31201 by Cheryl
Not to sound rude but are you sure it’s the signal wire that’s being pulled to ground,and not the 5 volt reference? Just asking. Do you have a check engine light on during key on engine off?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31207 by Cheryl
Also maybe the problem is in the connector?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31704 by Jansa
So I bought a brand new sensor just to rule out the used ones being bad and still having the same problem. I have not tried replacing the connectors yet and yes it is the signal wire being pulled to ground. Would a bad connector cause this? Any other thoughts would be helpful as well.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31709 by jreardon
Bad connector, maybe. Establish new connections to the new sensor. Scavenge the 5V ref from the TPS or MAP and jump it into the new sensor. Get a ground directly from battery post and jump it into the new sensor. Get the idea? Use meter and monitor signal and redo the test with chunk of metal. Don't forget to have key on and be careful not to short the 5v ref to ground. Test out your old sensors like this.

For the signal wire, just set your meter to beep when it finds continuity to ground.

If you need diagrams I included '96 and '97.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31711 by jreardon
That's going to be alot of work to setup. Maybe try the simple wiggle test first.

I don't know what the inside of connector looks like but it's not unreasonable to ask, Is the sensor shorted or is the connector shorted when sensor gets plugged in?

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by jreardon.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31717 by jreardon
You have a known good working crank sensor. Measure resistance between signal and ground pins and compare that with the cam sensors you have.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32071 by Jansa
So I went to scavenge the 5v reference from the TPS like you suggested and come to find out my signal wire to the TPS, crank, and cam sensor are all being pulled to ground while connected. As soon as I unplug them the 5v comes back. The only one that doesnt do this is the MAP sensor.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds