ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Cadillac dts battery drain

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jun 2019 19:10 #31075 by Betterway52
2006 Cadillac dts battery drain was created by Betterway52
Car has multiple codes but on my scan data the car has a battery sensor that my pid reads it as a negative number and it appears to be installed properly. Have done voltage drop across fuses and nothing sticks out. Two fuses show voltage drop bit significant and if I remove fuses car battery still dies and is new battery.does not due while running and appears to charge properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2019 06:34 #31096 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain
Have you got a number on the size of the current ? sometimes that can give a clue, if it is really big I first try disconnecting the alternator. Modules not going to sleep tend to add 50 to 150 ma per module.

" Welcome to the 21st"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Betterway52

More
27 Jun 2019 06:41 #31097 by Andy.MacFadyen
I did a quick bit of research - apparently a known issue that migh be what you are seeing. GM service bulletin 09-08-50-017B dated February 2010
Fuse 32 in the rear fuse box which is under the rear seat supplies the heated rear seat module, it can draw around 4 amps if it doen't go to sleep.

" Welcome to the 21st"

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
27 Jun 2019 09:42 #31107 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain
I'd suggest getting an ammeter installed to measure battery draw before counting on that battery current sensor for your diagnosis. In my experience, most battery current sensors aren't accurate enough for drain testing. But hey, if you find that they agree, then go for it! :silly:

Having a true current draw value, 45 minutes after shutting/locking all doors will give you a much better idea of the problem you're chasing.

More
27 Jun 2019 09:50 #31109 by Crombie
Replied by Crombie on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain
Can you do a voltmeter reading from each side of each fuse too for this kind of thing?

More
27 Jun 2019 10:57 - 27 Jun 2019 10:58 #31111 by Andy.MacFadyen
Yes you can use the voltage drop across each fuse but sometimes the results are not clear cut it depends a lot on how good your multimeter is, the fuse rating and the size of the current draw.
Using a fuse breakout connector is also a good method but be aware that is very easy to blow the fuse in your multimeter as they are only rated to 10 amps.
I don't recommemd "Fuse Buddy" type meters I bought a pair and wasn't impressed by the wiring.
My preffered method is to use a DC current clamp meter -- I have a fairly low cost low range one specfically for this type of job. CEM DT-337 AC/DC Measurement Digital Multimeter Clamp Meter Tester

" Welcome to the 21st"

Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 10:58 by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2019 11:51 #31114 by Betterway52
Replied by Betterway52 on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain
Ammeter or low amp probe? Same reading? I will try this today later as I'm charging the battery now. To try and do some test. also. I notice as I connect my can test box the pin 1 on dlc continues to flash saying circuit is still active hours into everything should be off. Will have more info later today.

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2019 11:56 #31115 by Betterway52
I was not using the sensor as a guide just the pid caught my attention. So I mentioned it. I will have better information later. I will try to install ammeter to get an accurate measure.

• Tyler
More
27 Jun 2019 12:04 #31116 by Tyler

Betterway52 wrote: Ammeter or low amp probe? Same reading?

I have more confidence in an ammeter for accuracy, but feel free to use what you have available! :) An ammeter has the advantage of not killing your low amp probe battery.

I notice as I connect my can test box the pin 1 on dlc continues to flash saying circuit is still active hours into everything should be off. Will have more info later today.

Well isn't that interesting. :huh: That'd be a low speed LAN, I believe. Can't tell what's on that network without a wiring diagram. :( Let's confirm the amount of your drain first? Then see if an awake network is suspect.

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2019 12:46 #31119 by Betterway52
I have plenty of tools. I will use the ammeter and also put the low amp probe on the scope and measure it that way also.

• Tyler
More
27 Jun 2019 13:19 #31121 by Tyler

Betterway52 wrote: I was not using the sensor as a guide just the pid caught my attention. So I mentioned it.

Apologies! I meant no insult.

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jun 2019 13:24 #31122 by Betterway52
None taking just trying to clear up my problem and I appreciate all of your feedback.

More
28 Jun 2019 13:57 - 28 Jun 2019 14:24 #31155 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain

Betterway52 wrote: I have plenty of tools. I will use the ammeter and also put the low amp probe on the scope and measure it that way also.

If you have an oscilloscope my method is to put a coil of wire in series with battery ground and measure the voltage drop across it with the scope. Disconnect battery ground, place the wire from battery negative to ground and measure voltage drop from the battery post to chassis ground.
Then I use a small accurate clamp meter to see what the voltage drop equates to. Some people use a 1 ohm resistor then 1v on the scope is 1 amp - but if the current draw is quite high the voltage drop gets too low for some systems to work properly - which is why I prefer a roll of thin wire.
Then I leave the scope on 20000 second recorder and watch the voltage change over time.
Before doing any of that I will have done a full system scan to check for faults. After an hour of watching the scope I'll do another full system scan with the ignition still off - then I find out what modules are still awake and check their live data to see if there is anything out of place - a Porsche once had "glove box" marked as "open" when it was actually closed, which kept 5 modules awake.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2019 14:24 by Desmond6004.

More
28 Jun 2019 14:45 #31157 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2006 Cadillac dts battery drain
I decided to do a blog on the subject because I get to look at a lot of current drain problems www.springbokphotography.com/autoelectri...nosing-battery-drain

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2019 00:57 #31317 by Betterway52
Thank you I found the source of the drain. Headlamp full of water.

• Tyler
More
04 Jul 2019 14:21 #31386 by Tyler
:lol: I did NOT expect that answer. Well done!

How much did the draw end up being? Did the battery current sensor more or less agree?

Did pin 1 at the DLC ever shut up after the repair?

• Betterway52
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2019 02:05 #31656 by Betterway52
Hey sorry couldn't get back sooner. The drain I believe was about .8ma. The communication on pin 1 did stop communicating after repair. I believe the light with the water had the bcm active as in trying to power down the light as it was "always on" not physically seen.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds