Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Vortec Misses

More
4 years 9 months ago #30957 by boscoe53
Vortec Misses was created by boscoe53
1998 Chevy K3500 5.7 4x4 a/c Automatic 4l80e.
Misses badly. Bought an old SO MT-2500. set cam retard. Still skips. MT 2500 sees no skips and there are no engine codes.. tranny is complaining but no engine codes.
If there are no codes and the scanner sees no misses when it stutters like Barney Fife, it’s gotta be the injector spyder??
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30959 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic Vortec Misses
If it's running lean check fuel pressure, should be at least 60 psi, otherwise the nozzles won't open.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boscoe53

More
4 years 9 months ago #30966 by boscoe53
Replied by boscoe53 on topic Vortec Misses
Gauge is in the mail. Got it as a reference from SD website. My scanner shows Rich to lean variance but I really can’t interpret that I’m sorry to say. Bought SD’s book but it’s not here yet either. It’s a huge issue, it falls all over itself and then recovers and gets me home. Then stumbles again.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30968 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic Vortec Misses
Check plugs for leakage by running a piece of metal grounded (or test light grounded on something metal) along your spark plug wires and see if your wires are leaking.

What else have you checked?

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #30975 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Vortec Misses
Can you post your fuel trims and 02 data, TPS data and load % while at idle and with throttle RPM at 2500 and maybe WOT on a test drive?

I would keep a spray bottle with water handy along with a vacuum gauge.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30998 by boscoe53
Well... cap and rotor and platinum platinum plugs. New fuel pump a few years back. Put in an Acell distributor at that time and Acell ceramic head wires. Bought the MT 2500 just to set the cam retard and give myself room to grow with the diagnostics for that truck I intend to keep till I’m planted.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30999 by boscoe53
I’ll do my best I got steep grades to pull here and I had to use lo 4WD to get up the hill to the house last time

More
4 years 9 months ago #31019 by boscoe53
Here’s some hard won info.
Floor shift k model 4x4’s need to watch the linkage hitting the 4k80E electrical plug and knocking it loose.
Mine got bumped out. Half inch push and click! My tranny works.
Still skips but it shifts now.
Write that one down....

More
4 years 9 months ago #31084 by boscoe53
Another embarrassing report.
Let the scanner run several misfire cycles in fed gear with the emergency brake on. #8 showed up.
I had help with this stuff and when I looked, my ceramic head plug wire on #8 was dangling near but not on the plug !
Checked the rest and found three more on but not all the way home. Brute forced them in and it purrs.
Wow. Check everything anyone does. Very good help still screws up.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31088 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic Re:Vortec Misses
I chased a condition on the 78 in my avatar where it would load up and backfire out the tailpipe. Finally ended up accidentally knocking a plug wire off that was not seated all the way. You can bet the farm I won’t make that mistake again any time soon
The following user(s) said Thank You: boscoe53

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds