Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Trouble setting base ignition timing

More
4 years 9 months ago #30949 by Crombie
Hello, new to the website. Thanks Paul i did receive your reply it was in another email folder

I have a Honda CRX 1989 with a B16A vtec engine. I have the distributor all the way to retarded and Im still slightly advanced for base timing. I do have a slightly high idle, but if I remove the IACV connector it drops to about 700rpm, the base timing is very close there, but the distributor should be in a middle position, i have tried 2 different PCM's, since i have them, changed the coolant temperature sensor as I rebuilt most of the engine. The cams and crank are in time. i have checked cam and crank timing 4 times. I have used 2 different distributors, the 1st one was Honda but it was backfiring the bearing was gone, so I bought a new distributor but it is not a genuine one. I bought a Blox TPS, that measures 0.46-4.50v, I'am jumping the timing connector. I can move it advanced, and it does adjust but then the timing marks move further away.

Thanks for reading

Stu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30997 by Andy.MacFadyen
Don't get hung up about the adjustment bolt not being central there is no one correct position for it, years since I did a similar Honda but ISTR that the base timing is set with the IACV disconncted and the service connector jumpered, 700 rpm in which case your ignition timing is spot on.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 9 months ago #31012 by Crombie
Thanks a lot for the reply, some very good info there and puts my mind more are rest, a couple other things i noticed though is when I start up the car it sits at that slightly advanced position, I must re-do it again when its stone cold just to see, because I thought the PCM retards the timing to warm the car up, so I was expecting to see it bouncing around (whilst the jumper wasn't connected) it was still at the same position, thanks

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds