Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 Toyota Corolla S noise when applying brakes

More
4 years 10 months ago #30826 by Dtnel
2013 Toyota Corolla S noise when applying brakes.
1.8 engine.

Took video of it. Let me know your thoughts of what you think the sound is. I'm wondering if they get air in the system or if anyone has seen this? No recent work whatsoever to the brake system.

Just wanted to throw it out there before I go jacking things up, popping wheels, etc in case anyone has came across or heard of this before in their years and years of playing with cars....

Here's the YouTube link,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30830 by John Curtis
Failing master cylinder or failing brake booster.

Questions
Does the car have signs of a vacuum leak? Check the brake booster hose.
Does the brake fluid seem low with no visible leak? Or does the brake pedal seem harder to push than the normal operation? The master cylinder could be leaking into the brake booster.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30831 by Dtnel

John Curtis wrote: Failing master cylinder or failing brake booster.

Questions
Does the brake fluid seem low with no visible leak? Or does the brake pedal seem harder to push than the normal operation? The master cylinder could be leaking into the brake booster.

Pedal seems fine as I could tell and according to son.

Says it's been driving like normal as usual when it comes to braking, driving, etc. Said the pedal feels as normal as I asked him if pedal seemed hard or if it goes to floor as I was worried about a leak also.

Definitely will do a vacuum check and check the booster out per mfr specs.

Son initially thought the noise was from drivers rear wheel only but as you see in the video it is both sides which I showed to him and he concurred with afterwards.

If it's a booster or whatever then he'll definitely have me to thank for saving him on the labor side of things.

Guess I'll do this tomorrow or next day after I get the daughters gas tank back in the Santa Fe. Wish I'd been under on the mileage on that one as it could've been warrantied due to Hyundai's fuel tank warranty extension.

Thanks for the information and I'll check the OE info and do those checks.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #30834 by Andy.MacFadyen
Noise from rear brakes Drum brakes on rear ? --- brakes drums need pulled off examined, renewed and handbrake and adjuster mechanism cleaned adjusted as required.

Some noise from servo is normal .

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30835 by Dtnel

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Noise from rear brakes Drum brakes on rear ? --- brakes drums need pulled off examined, renewed and handbrake and adjuster mechanism cleaned adjusted as required.

Some noise from servo is normal .

Will know more tomorrow night hopefully on whether it’s the drum brakes or not. The noise you’re hearing in the video is just from him pushing and releasing the brake pedal. Seems like kind of an odd noise but I tend to wonder if the noise is reverberating back to the front somewhere because it’s making the noise on the rear more loudly.I could see that happening because of the metal lines on the brake system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toyota1990s

More
4 years 10 months ago #30836 by Andy.MacFadyen

John Curtis wrote: Failing master cylinder or failing brake booster.

Questions

(1) Some air-vacuum noise from the servo is fairl normal when the brake is pressed it works by letting in air as the brake pedal is pressed.
(1) No way could a faulty servo or master cylinder cause mechanical noise at the rear wheels

The car has done 60k the rear brakes will be due to be cleaned out and renewed or adjusted.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 10 months ago #30844 by Dtnel
"The car has done 60k the rear brakes will be due to be cleaned out and renewed or adjusted."

Put in that perspective Andy it makes sense as we bought it at 39k. We've replaced front brakes. Tires and Alignment were done before we bought it as I was able to pull service history from dealer prior to buying the vehicle in Late Dec of 16.

60k, yeah don't know how I let brakes slip my mind.

Son will be home in a few hours and if I get to it tonight we'll know soon enough.

I plan on flushing the brake fluid as well but if it needs brakes I want to make sure to isolate the noise as well before bleeding the brakes so as to not create another issue. Get 1 thing solved first then move on.

This is exactly why I wish I had a hoist at my house. Pull it in garage, lift it up and work on it standing up rather than on the ground.

This ground stuff will be a thing of the past come this winter.

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds