Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2015 Subaru Forester - AC Clutch does not re-engage after WOT

More
4 years 10 months ago #30702 by PatrickT2
Working on a 2015 Forester with the non turbo engine. The vehicle has a MAP sensor, an accelerator pedal position sensor and a mass air flow sensor. I did not see a TPS in the wiring diagrams. Is there a forum member that knows which sensor communicates the WOT condition to the ECM?

The Forester disengages the AC clutch at WOT but the AC clutch may take up to 15 minutes to re-engage. Turning the vehicle off and on resets the sensor and the AC clutch engages normally again. I'm thinking the sensor communicating the WOT condition is not communicating the non-WOT condition to the ECM when the owner lifts off the pedal. I road tested the vehicle confirmed the condition.

All pressures are good and the system works great when the compressor is running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #30705 by John Curtis
Drive by wire systems use the accelerator pedal as an input into the ECU/ECM. The ECU/ECM controllable the throttle

Can you manually activate the AC clutch when it decides to stop working?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30713 by PatrickT2
Thank you for the info. I'll pull that sensor and test it. I can also try powering the AC clutch directly when it's not working.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30714 by Tyler
No codes? Misfires? Wondering if it's missing at WOT, and shutting the compressor off is a programmed response. :huh:

What kind of scan data do you have available from the ECM and the A/C Control Panel?

The wiring diagram shows that the ECM, pressure switch and A/C Control Panel are directly involved in energizing the control side of the A/C relay.

Depending on how accessible the pressure switch is, I'd be tempted to watch pin #2 and #4 while doing a WOT run. Pin two is some kind of normally closed, pull up power supply to the control side of the A/C relay, AND an input to the A/C Control Panel. Pin #4 is a pull down input to the ECM directly.
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #31001 by PatrickT2
Just to close the loop on this one...

The problem is being caused by the AC compressor clutch/coil. Because it's an intermittent problem it was difficult to test. I was finally able to detect battery voltage on the feed wire to the coil and the clutch was not engaged. The air cap is out of spec.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds