Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Another FORD with fuel control issue.

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
4 years 10 months ago #30578 by rudolph.palm
Hello everyone, I am working on a 2015 FORD FOCUS 2.0Ltr GDI. Main complain was fluctuating idle speed, erratic fuel level gauge readings. Engine stalls intermittently. DTC codes at this point P2196, U0284, P025A. Checked the wirings, relay and fuses for the fuel pump control module. everythings seems to be fine, Visually inspection of the fuel pump control module, looks good. After reset(clear) all codes engine runs fine, this car always revs up to 2000 and more each time by start up. After that it will lower to a normal idling speed. After a long test drive, the engine started to fluctuate badly at idle. and the check engine light came on again. DTC codes at this point, P2196, P144A. P2192, P0507 and again P025A. Life data, ST and LT fuel trim at "0" Upstream O2 sensor -1.98 to -2.0 Mamps. (Strong burned fuel smell) Down stream at 0.98vlts. Only the down stream react on throttle snap. Upstream remains fixed. Holding the engine on about 3000rpm, ST fuel trim starts giving -25% fluctuating. And the Upstream data increases. Letting it idle ST will be back on 0 % and O2 Upstream back on -2.00 mamps. Engine may start idling very high on his own. I had a New O2 sensor, I put this in this engine and there was no change at all!! Everything remains the same. This is the second FORD I am dealing with the same O2 and fuel trim issue. Is this a known issue for those ford models, Focus and Fiesta? I will be checking the EVAP system and PCV valve tomorrow. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30595 by cj1
Best to resolve P025A first.
If module power/ground good then suspect driver module itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudolph.palm, John Curtis

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 10 months ago #30609 by rudolph.palm
Thank you for your suggestion, I have been trying to solve the P025A, But I can figure out that something may be wrong with the wiring/ground/power. The service manual does not give you a clear way to figure it out. One thing I can say, the number one pin does not have power KOEO. Only with KOER, The fuel pump can not be heard when turning the ignition key on. I have never heard it. I can not even find the Fuel pump control module RELAY, its not given in the factory service manual. I don't have the wiring manual for this car.

The problem P2196 is fixed!! The Purge solenoid valve was stuck open. No more P2196 and the fuel trims are back alive and in specs, same with the o2 sensors. Only P025A is still present.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30618 by cj1
See bbbind.com for schematic.
How is running after having fixed purge problem?

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 10 months ago #30619 by rudolph.palm
It runs fine with no issues. The P025A is still there, but it seems not to effect the drivability. Customer states a few days ago, the fuel gauge was acting erratically and not giving the actual fuel level, however, I was not able to duplicate this behavior. I am still pending to replace the purge solenoid, I have just plug the output to eliminate the leak since its not getting closed mechanically.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30622 by cj1
FYI
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2012-2018 Ford Focus vehicles with a 2.0L GDI or 2.0L GTDI engine. The Canister Purge Valve (CPV) may malfunction, possibly causing excessive vacuum in fuel vapor management system.
The Problem

The excessive vaccuum may result in an engine stall while driving, without warning and without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
The Fix

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the Powertrain Control Module. Dealers will also check for fault codes and replace the CPV as needed. If the CPV is replaced, dealers will inspect and replace the carbon canister, fuel tank and fuel delivery module as necessary. An interim owner notification letter was mailed December 10, 2018. Owners will receive a second notification when the remedy is available. Owners may contact Ford Customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18S32. Note: Until the vehicle is serviced for this concern, owners are advised to keep the fuel tank at least halfway full.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, rudolph.palm

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 10 months ago #30624 by rudolph.palm
Thank you so much for the info!! It sound like the case I am having, The Canister Purge Valve will be replace, But I am not sure if I really have to reprogram the ECU. Unless the P025A I am having is related to the ECU-BCM-and Fuel Pump Control Module.. Since they are working together... Thanks Again for the Recall info, Its very much appreciated. This case will help me fix, lets say the same issue with a 2016 FORD FIESTA I mentioned a couple of weeks ago in this forum. I thought it was the Upstream O2 but I might be wrong about this. A new sensor has been ordered and received for this case, I am waiting for the customer to bring in the car to finish the repairs. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks very much!!

More
4 years 10 months ago #30668 by Tyler
Holy crap, that purge must have been stuck wide open. :woohoo:

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 10 months ago #30682 by rudolph.palm
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Exactly!!!

More
4 years 10 months ago #30690 by Tyler
I almost wonder if the canister had liquid fuel in it? :huh: Like the customer has been topping off the tank repeatedly.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds