ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

99' Dodge 1500 Pickup 5.2L - Cranks and does not start - Intermittent Coil Spark

• DodgeDad
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
04 Jun 2019 21:09 #30375 by DodgeDad
I have a 1999 Dodge 1500 Pickup 5.2L that cranks but doesn't start, and the coil has an intermittent spark.

I could use some help in fixing this problem.

Any ideas?

-DodgeGuy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2019 22:24 - 04 Jun 2019 23:37 #30379 by John Curtis
Do you need a wiring diagram?
Do you have cam and crank signal?

check is if the fuel pump is turning on. Can you hear it?
Possible PDC failure? Try a bypass test?

Is this a 4 pin COP?

Have you checked for 5V ref?

I’ve included an attachment. Which one is yours?
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jun 2019 23:37 by John Curtis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
04 Jun 2019 22:47 #30380 by csipes1983..
I spent several days troubleshooting my intermittent spark. Everything from ICM signal wire, grounds, voltages, ohm reading on the coil, you name it. One day I was using my test light to check for the spark signal from the ICM while cranking the engine, and the vehicle abruptly started and scared the hell out me (thought I was getting electrocuted!). Turns out it was the harness connector to the ICM that was making intermittent contact with the connector pins on the ICM at the crank signal wire. Sure enough I pulled the harness off and examined the connector openings, and they were too wide. I went ahead and spliced in a new and the vehicle has not had cranking issues ever since. I learned an important lesson that day, don't over look the simple things! Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DodgeDad

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
05 Jun 2019 10:47 #30408 by Tyler
Does the coil have power and control during the no spark condition? Knowing which you're missing will help point you in the right direction.

My experience with these trucks is that the coil housing cracks and leaks secondary voltage to ground. An easy check for this is to get the truck running, then mist the coil with a spray bottle. If the truck dies, you're on the right track.

• DodgeDad
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
05 Jun 2019 11:51 #30410 by DodgeDad
Hi - old guy here. I have an Dodge Laramie 1500. Could I get a copy of the wiring diagram. The truck hasn't been licensed since 2013 and not sure when it ran last as I just picked it up at a deal. I was going to use it for parts but now think it's better than the car I have. I can follow a wiring diagram but vague on how to test it. Any thoughts?

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
05 Jun 2019 13:03 #30415 by Tyler

DodgeDad wrote: Hi - old guy here. I have an Dodge Laramie 1500. Could I get a copy of the wiring diagram. The truck hasn't been licensed since 2013 and not sure when it ran last as I just picked it up at a deal. I was going to use it for parts but now think it's better than the car I have. I can follow a wiring diagram but vague on how to test it. Any thoughts?

Gotcha right here:

An incandescent test light would be preferable, but we can make a DMM work, too. ;) Test light connected to B-, the dark green/orange wire should light the bulb during cranking. If that's there, move to the black/grey wire and change the test light to B+. Crank it again and look for rapid pulsing of the bulb.

This SD video demonstrates pretty well what to look for:

Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2019 15:27 #30418 by chief eaglebear
excellent rundown of no start possiblitys

• DodgeDad
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
Today 11:12 #31006 by DodgeDad
Hi - DodgeDad here

I did the test, and this is what I found.

When testing the green/orange wire, the light stays on only when the fuel pump is on. There is no light on cranking.
I tested the black wire and there was no light at all.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

-DodgeDad

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.655 seconds