Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 GMC Terrain 2.4L SLE : Overheating and no hot air blowing from heater core

More
4 years 10 months ago #30222 by robert.lesaca
This is the same vehicle that had a CMP intake Solenoid/Actuator fault. This time the owner complained of sudden overheating. I test drove it and notice there was no hot air blowing too. She said ECT sensor, thermostat and a new water pump was installed and still nothing changed. There are no visible leaks; no DTCs; air blend actuator working fine; no visible hose leaks or broken; coolant level ok including at the reservoir. Any suggestions or similar problems? Thank you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 10 months ago #30237 by Noah
I would perform a chemical head gasket test just to get that off the table.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 10 months ago #30240 by robert.lesaca
Block test I guess is next...thanks Noah.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30241 by PDM
Seeing the problem with that 2008 F150 reminded of something I’ve done before. Use a temperature gun and see if there are any cold spots on the heater core outlet or radiator. The cheap laser ones work. Also Flir makes one for a phone that is nice and not expensive
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
4 years 10 months ago #30257 by Andy.MacFadyen
It really sound like a head gasket. BUT are the heater hoses getting warm as the engine starts to heat from.a cold start? Coolant circulation through the heater is important to ensure thermostat openning and I have seen choked heater cores causes over heating issues.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #30258 by John Curtis

Noah wrote: I would perform a chemical head gasket test just to get that off the table.

Not to hijack the thread but I’m curious.
Other than speed...
Is there a benefit to the chemical test over a traditional compression test?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by John Curtis.

• Noah
More
4 years 10 months ago #30261 by Noah
It's not a perfect test, but speed is the main reason it's my go too test. When confronted with any overheat complaint, I like to try that first. Also, I feel like depending on the severity of the failure, a chemical test will pick it out before a compression test on something with beginning stages of head gasket failure.
While a positive result is enough to condemn the engine in most cases, a negative is really just inconclusive.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30321 by Tyler
Interested to hear where this one ended up, Robert. :cheer: These cars have TONS of issues, but overheating and no heat is not one I've seen before.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30327 by guafa
Me too,

I'm trying to save all the issues of this ecotec 2.4 engine, since where i live are getting old and out of warranty. Also these engines have bad reputation.

Is it right to say in order to rule out radiator inlet and oulet temperature should be more than 30 degress?

Cheers.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30330 by robert.lesaca
I did get the blue chemical block test that came as a kit; followed the instruction to the letter and after the engine has warmed up, the blue didnt change in color (yellow). I drove the vehicle for some 30 minutes or so and the temp gauge would swing back and fortht between the (normal) third line and to almost 3/4 of the gauge. Any other thoughts or direction to go?

Thanks

More
4 years 10 months ago #30331 by robert.lesaca
The only TSB Ive read is regarding the chain that runs the water pump is loose or not properly installed...fluid is running well through heater core, inlet/outlet hose to the heater core, radiator upper/lower hose and even the small by-pass hose from the reservoir to the upper rad hose...

More
4 years 10 months ago #30340 by Tyler
Yeah, an overtightened water pump chain will just make noise, unfortunately. You'd have heard it by now if that were true. :silly:

Does a scanner agree with what the coolant temp gauge is saying? It's unlikely you have a lying gauge, just interested to know how hot the engine actually is when it's at 3/4.

Only overheats driving down the road? Suggests a coolant flow problem, but all your testing says otherwise. Any airflow issues across the condenser or radiator?

Has anyone tested the pressure bottle cap, or replaced it? Sounds somewhat like a system that never builds pressure.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30361 by robert.lesaca
Yes, coolant flow is what Im thinking too. Again I drove the vehicle for a good half an hour (after flushing - I understand pressurized system auto purge bubbles) and now it seems temp stays between 3rd line and slightly above mid and I noticed too that the reservoir coolant level does fill up all the way to the top unlike before; heater core inlet and outlet hoses are warm to the touch.

Im going nuts over this ecotec engine...worse Ive worked on. Im running out of options. Oh, btw, is it possible that a wrong thermostat positioning can be a possible cause?

More
4 years 10 months ago #30377 by Tyler

robert.lesaca wrote: Im going nuts over this ecotec engine...worse Ive worked on. Im running out of options. Oh, btw, is it possible that a wrong thermostat positioning can be a possible cause?

You mean, with the bleeder valve not pointed up? Or, did you mean installed backwards?

'Cause I figure the bleeder valve pointed down would just make bleeding the system the first time around more interesting. Backwards, I think the thermostat would just stay closed, and you'd be cooking the engine before you got down the block.

An incorrect/crappy thermostat, though, is a possibility. ;) One that doesn't open fully, and acts as a restriction to coolant flow when it shouldn't. Any idea what brand got installed?

The flush helped? :huh: Any evidence of stop leak in the coolant? That might be why there's no heat, and why it runs hot.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30390 by Andy.MacFadyen
Where a thermostat is fitted with a jiggle valve I make a point of cutting it out to allow air to bleed out and ensure some by-pass flow over the thermostat.

I have also seen thermostats fitted upside down

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

• Noah
More
4 years 10 months ago #30392 by Noah
I recently went a few rounds with a BMW that had similar symptoms. I just put a new thermostat in it a few weeks before and it was fine, so I discounted it. After everything else checked fine I revisited the thermostat to find that it had stuck closed.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30630 by robert.lesaca
ok...after doing that block tester kit and blue chemical did not change to yellow, I suggested to owner that its time to have the timing chain checked for looseness or what ever problem it might have. After two days being tested in the shop, they decided to open the water pump to check condition of chain, shaft, etc. According to them, they found a chain problem but did not explain further. Parts came in today and the owner hopes to get the the SUV by tomorrow. I will give an update as to what exactly they found out.

Based on some research I did, overheating is not a problem with this model of GMC. But if ever, the culprit lies mainly in the water pump area, specifically chain problem not turning pump properly..Thanks again !!!

More
4 years 10 months ago #30678 by Tyler
Eager to hear how this one ends. :woohoo:

More
4 years 10 months ago #30720 by robert.lesaca
Hi Tyler...it was a broken chain that was the root of the problem; pump wasnt rotating properly thus circulation was insufficient. SUV working excellent now with hot air blowing out of the vents too.

What puzzles me was the first shop that replaced the water pump did not mention any chain problem though they notice overheating and no hot air blowing out. Took it to another shop and they found a broken chain...customer satisfied with second shop job. Thank you for all inputs and comments given; much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 10 months ago #30729 by guafa
Nice to know that and thanks for the info.

I suppose then water pump wasn't rotating at all. Also, due to this engine has two balancer shafts attached to the same chain, engine was vibrating more than normal.

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.265 seconds