Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Buick LeSabre Power windows info needed.

More
4 years 11 months ago #30100 by Dtnel
Up at the mother in laws today. Her and wife take the MIL'S buick to the cemetery to put flowers out south of town. About 15 min later in a rental car I am and get a phone call. "We're stuck in the muddy grass"

I get out there and let the MIL know to roll a window down so she can hear and so I don't get a mud bath again from her keeping her foot flat on the pedal all the way.

She tells me she can't roll any windows down because her mechanic said all the motors were bad when she took it in because 1 stopped working. She stated that he said if she rolls any of them down that they may not go up.

I ask her why and she says " he said all the motors for the windows are bad. She'll be 75 this July. Very active person living independent and I was scratching my head as this is a first.

Why would someone tell her that all of them are bad? I asked her for the estimate because she said he told her it would cost a lot to fix and she said he just gave me a verbal estimate and I told him I would fix it when I get back from Arizona next week because she's flying down to watch her grandson graduate from med school before he heads to Florida to do his residency.

I don't think all 4 motors can go bad at once, Lol. I haven't looked up the wiring diagram off shopkey yet but I think she may not be being told the whole story. She'll even have her car down when she flies out and I'd rather do the work for her as I don't charge her labor and I can get her the parts for cost or even used ones with a 199 day warranty.

I want to be able to help her. I even brought tools to fix her garage door as it's off track.

I always bring my scan tool with component tester and I have my power probe as well.

I'm trying to figure out a way to help her get it fixed and save money when I can help her being she's on fixed income.

It's not like I haven't helped her before and all went well.

I kind of feel the mechanic she uses may have his claws in her as she said that it was going to cost her too much to get fixed which was why she put it off.

She says she always gets a good deal but yet she told me but yet it's costing her a arm and leg.

Does this all motors going bad sound legit?

I know this isn't a full-blown question for help but almost kind of a deer a b and a question about all for the motors going bad at once.

I've never dealt with window motors through all my years to be honest so I haven't even looked at a wiring diagram or nothing I just feel something isn't right.

Scratching my head her wondering on this.

Any input whether about the vehicle issue or the hard headed mother in law. I'm hard headed as well so I always have that against me even though I service her riding mower 1-2 times a year free including parts.

That mower is 10yrs old and runs like new.

Oil change, plugs, oil, air and fuel filters and blades new every year in spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 11 months ago #30107 by Noah
It sounds unlikely. I have seen 3 out of 4 fail on the same car.
I don't remember what it was, other than it was some junk on its last leg.
I'd be willing to bet they didn't all quit at the same time though.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
4 years 11 months ago #30111 by Tyler
I agree with Noah, it may not have been a simultaneous failure. I once chased a complaint of power door locks inoperative on a Saab. Owner was convinced there had to be a wiring problem - why else would they all quit working? :silly: All the actuators had failed, but it was only the failure of the passenger front (first), then the drivers front (last) that got the drivers attention.

Windows going down but not up tends to suggest a regulator problem, as opposed to an electrical problem, IMO. I'd suggest ignoring what her regular mechanic said and treat it like a new complaint. ;) Diagnose and test 'till you're confident.

More
4 years 11 months ago #30112 by Chad

Tyler wrote: I'd suggest ignoring what her regular mechanic said and treat it like a new complaint.

Always. B)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds