Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Scion TC Misfire on #1

More
4 years 11 months ago #29841 by eliteautosolution
2006 Scion TC 2.4L 4cyl
Misfire on #1, no spark from coil, has injector pulse
Swapped coils, problem did not follow
Scoped IGT #1 cyl and found base voltage not at 0v instead it is at 2.8v and then goes to 4.3v when computer commands on.

Disconnected affected circuit (coil and pcm). Then put a light bulb on one end of the circuit and powered the other end of the circuit with my powerprobe. Bulb lights good on the IGT circuit. Checked all other circuits ok.

Attached some pico captures. Can someone lead me in the right direction. I am thinking the ECM is at fault at this time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29846 by eliteautosolution
One more thing, when I unplug the connector from the affected cylinder. The wave form goes normal 0v-4v square wave. Plug in, back to 2.8-4.3v square wave.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29848 by jreardon
I wonder if current ramp for #1 coil might show difference compared to other coils. Maybe compare amp waveform moving #1 coil to good IGT driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
4 years 11 months ago #29849 by chief eaglebear
not to experienced but that turn on oscillaition doesn't look right nor does the ramp of the current looks like lazy driver

More
4 years 11 months ago #29851 by eliteautosolution
I did do that, it was pretty much the same as a known good.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29852 by eliteautosolution
I think its safe to say it needs a computer. The circuit is so simple, 1 wire for IGT straight to the coil. The coil was switched around and the problem didn't follow. Checked all 4 coil circuits, good. I'm going to order a computer, thanks guys.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29853 by jreardon
Try leaving only #1 connected and see if signal returns to normal.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29871 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic 2006 Scion TC Misfire on #1
To the OP. Please let us know the end result and how the process went. Always good to read and learn.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29875 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic 2006 Scion TC Misfire on #1

eliteautosolution wrote: I think its safe to say it needs a computer. The circuit is so simple, 1 wire for IGT straight to the coil. The coil was switched around and the problem didn't follow. Checked all 4 coil circuits, good. I'm going to order a computer, thanks guys.

I agree. Please let us know when you get the computer in

More
4 years 11 months ago #29888 by eliteautosolution
FIXED

Rechecked all the wiring to the coil. The ground and IGT wire was swapped on the connector. Called customer and asked them were they fooling around with the coils, and they said they just changed the plugs. Then a long pause.............customer finally said the wiring came out when they connected the coil back up. These problems I encounter seem to always be a customer inflicted issue. But another one in the books and I know I should have caught this yesterday.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29890 by chief eaglebear
huh interesting I wonder how you got waveform like the one you did it seems like it would have come up inverted not sure though the top was missing maybe that was the ground

More
4 years 11 months ago #29891 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic Re:2006 Scion TC Misfire on #1
I don’t know how many customers do it on purpose but they all seem to leave out important details like that

More
4 years 11 months ago #29906 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2006 Scion TC Misfire on #1

eliteautosolution wrote: FIXED

The ground and IGT wire was swapped on the connector.

Nice. :silly: I was wondering about the coil ground as I was reading this thread. Well done interrogating the customer. B)

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds