Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Bank 1 and bank 2 system lean

More
7 years 5 months ago #3824 by Hernandez530
1997 chevy astro van v6 engine
System too lean bank 1 and bank 2
Smoke checked for vacuum leaks and none found....fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel pump have been replaced..these items where faulty thats why they where replaced..one injector was bad, regulator was leaking and the pump was weak..... now there is dtc showing bank 1 & 2 are too lean... fuel trim on both banks are at +25...again i have looked for vacuum leaks but i cant find any...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 5 months ago #3831 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Bank 1 and bank 2 system lean
Hi Hernandez530, welcome to the forum.
I think we would be in a better position to help if we knew a few things first.
When are the trims at their worst, and what are the trims @ idle, 2500 rpm, and while driving. Long term and short term for both banks.
Is there any freeze frame data to look at that could clue us into if this is happening under load, with the engine hot, cold etc.
It seems like you've pretty well gone through the fuel system, I'd still want to know what fuel pressure looks like at various loads...and....
up stream o2 sensor readings.
Also MAF is suspect for a lean condition, but we could look into that further depending on how the rest of this plays out.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 5 months ago #3832 by Hernandez530
Thanks for the replay Noah
It seems that Fuel trim gets worse when i accelerate the engine and its the same on cold engine and warm engine
At idle (bank1) St fuel trim is at 10-12
And Lt fuel trim is 22-27
At about 2500 rpm
(Bank1) St fuel trim is 25-33
And Lt fuel trim is 27-35
Bank2 is pretty much identical to bank 1
If i snap the throttle St fuel trim on both banks goes to 0 for a split second
If i press the brake pedal and shift into reverse or drive the engine seems to bogg a little

Fuel pressure is at 50psi at idle and if i snap on the throttle it goes up slightly

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3839 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Bank 1 and bank 2 system lean

It seems that Fuel trim gets worse when i accelerate the engine

Then I'd go in the direction of fuel delivery, MAF sensor,....
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Dylan.

• Noah
More
7 years 5 months ago #3842 by Noah

Dylan wrote:

It seems that Fuel trim gets worse when i accelerate the engine

Then I'd go in the direction of fuel delivery, MAF sensor,....

Agreed.
Minimum fuel pressure spec for this engine is 60psi.
60 to 66 is the operating range.
Considering the pump, the filter and pressure regulator have all been changed, unless there is debris in the tank plugging the strainer, you could be looking at a voltage drop in the fuel pump circuit.
I was thinking maybe a pressure regulator allowing to much fuel to return to the tank, but you said you changed it. Testing it could be difficult, I believe it's under the intake on this one?

More
7 years 5 months ago #3850 by Hernandez530
Guys..to check of the engine is starving for fuel can i spray some starting fluid or propain in the air intake to see if the fuel trim gets better?

So you guys think it could be a MAF problem?
How do i go about testing it? Im not very familiar with the MAF

More
7 years 5 months ago #3852 by Dylan

So you guys think it could be a MAF problem?
How do i go about testing it? Im not very familiar with the MAF

It's possible. Here's a great video from ScannerDanner's free channel. If you haven't seen it check it out ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hernandez530

• Chriscoy
  • Heavy duty truck technician / foreman/ parts guy/
More
7 years 5 months ago #3864 by Chriscoy
If you're only showing 50ish psi at idle that's where I'd focus. The fuel system needs to run 58-66psi. Around that 50psi range the injector poppers will barely open.

I have a 1996 Tahoe that had similar problem and it would up being a pinched fuel line.

I'd check for excessive pressue decay and maybe graph fuel pump current. Check power and grounds at the pump to. These were known for connector issues at the pump. Most pumps were sold with a wiring update and the crappy style butt connectors.

Changing parts is easy, Troubleshooting is an art

More
7 years 5 months ago #3869 by ScannerDanner
Spot on Noah. Fuel Pressure is too low for this system.
His symptoms match this as well.
Then I would focus on MAF as Dylan suggested. These model GM's have a very good back up strategy for a disconnected sensor.

Don't be a parts changer!

• Noah
More
7 years 5 months ago #3880 by Noah

Hernandez530 wrote: Guys..to check of the engine is starving for fuel can i spray some starting fluid or propane in the air intake to see if the fuel trim gets better?

The test you describe would not prove the engine is starving for fuel, but would help determine the condition of the oxygen sensors.
If you add a secondary fuel source to the intake, the fuel trims should go negative and the upstream o2's should go rich. I would expect something above 800mv, or 0.8v.
If the o2's and fuel trims do not respond appropriately, then the o2's are at fault.

I'm still in the same boat with Chriscoy and ScannerDanner about needing to investigate that low fuel pressure further

More
7 years 5 months ago #3898 by Hernandez530
I just tested the mass air flow sensor it seems to be working properly.. i used a multimeter to read the frequency...at idle it was at about 2k hz
And increased as i opened the throttle, i didnt see it glitching or bouncing around either...what im thinking is that the remanufactured injectiors that i bought are not flowing enough fuel...
i dont think fuel pressure is my problem because before i replaced the pump it would run at 38psi and i didnt have this problem

More
7 years 5 months ago #3902 by Hernandez530
So its not a mass air flow issue for sure...i replaced it with a known good one from a friend....her is a picture of fuel trims and fuel pressure at idle...
Attachments:

• Noah
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3903 by Noah

Hernandez530 wrote: So its not a mass air flow issue for sure...i replaced it with a known good one from a friend....her is a picture of fuel trims and fuel pressure at idle...

That fuel pressure is too low brother...
You're not going to get anywhere with this one until you get to the bottom of the fuel delivery issue.

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Noah.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3904 by Hernandez530
just noticed that the fuel pressure drops immediately after i turn the ignition off...doesnt hold pressure for even 1 second.. bad fuel pressure regulator? Or fuel pump check valve?
They are both new so i dont know whats going on here

More
7 years 5 months ago #3907 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Bank 1 and bank 2 system lean

Hernandez530 wrote: just noticed that the fuel pressure drops immediately after i turn the ignition off...doesnt hold pressure for even 1 second.. bad fuel pressure regulator? Or fuel pump check valve?
They are both new so i dont know whats going on here

Could be either one! You'll need to either pinch off hoses or install shut-off valves to tell which. I offered a decent explanation to Gilbert in this thread, check it out:

scannerdanner.com/forum/post-your-repair...l-pressure.html#1174

This video series is also worth watching. Your fuel pressure regulator is unlikely to be leaking into the intake, but the same steps apply.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3908 by Hernandez530
Just removed the upper intake plenum..the fuel pressure regulator is good i tested it with a vacuum pump...

More
7 years 5 months ago #3915 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Bank 1 and bank 2 system lean

Hernandez530 wrote: Just removed the upper intake plenum..the fuel pressure regulator is good i tested it with a vacuum pump...

So, you put a vacuum pump on the regulator itself, and it held vacuum? I understand the test, but I'm not sure that it guarantees that the regulator isn't bleeding pressure off when it's supposed to be closed.

The easiest way to prove this would be to block the return line and pressurize the rail. If the pressure now holds with the pump off, then your regulator is suspect. If it does not, then you're going towards the fuel pump.

More
7 years 5 months ago #3917 by Dylan
Tyler wrote:

So, you put a vacuum pump on the regulator itself, and it held vacuum? I understand the test, but I'm not sure that it guarantees that the regulator isn't bleeding pressure off when it's supposed to be closed.

The easiest way to prove this would be to block the return line and pressurize the rail. If the pressure now holds with the pump off, then your regulator is suspect. If it does not, then you're going towards the fuel pump.

Totally agree with Tyler and Noah. After reading the other posts something's wrong here in the fuel circuit.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds