Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P001/0-00 Intake Camshaft position Actutor

More
4 years 11 months ago #29386 by robert.lesaca
This a 2011 GMC terrain 2.4L...

Here is a shot of the waveform for both Intake CKP actuator (red trace) and the Intake CMP actuator (blue trace). At idle, Intake CMP actuator0( blue trace) show some obvious dipping in voltage as compared to the Intake CKP (red trace) actuator. Are these dips enough evidence to show an intermittent solenoid failure for the intake CMP actuactor?

File Attachment:

File Name: 2011GMCTer...08-2.pdf
File Size:550 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29394 by jreardon
Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't actuators, computer outputs? The signals you captured are coming from the computer so any abnormalities there would be originating from the computer.

There are position actuators (outputs) and position sensors (inputs) and I would scope the position sensor signal to make sure it matches the pulse width command from the computer.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29406 by chief eaglebear
thank you I was thinking same thing good to scope solenoid itself that wave form looked ok
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by chief eaglebear.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29410 by robert.lesaca
there are two wires from each solenoid, one is ground and the other is control. using DVOM, intake CMP solenoid showed control wire read 5.5V (im thinking bias voltage) and 0V for ground, both plugged; ohm test showed the CMP solenoid read 20.4 ohms as compared to the good solenoid of 10.4 ohms. replaced both solenoids.

File Attachment:

File Name: forscanner...orum.pdf
File Size:596 KB

attached is a waveform of both solenoids at idle...showing regular pattern and frequency...
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #29415 by chief eaglebear
hi sir not to experienced but those waves look ok we are missing something

More
4 years 11 months ago #29425 by robert.lesaca
yes they are, from my standpoint. these was taken after replacing both solenoids. the absence of intermittent dips from the intake CMP solenoid is noticiably absent, plus the regularity in the highs and lows and frequency are same all through out, unlike in the early waveform posted. i also checked V esp from the CMP solenoid that earlier read 5.5V plugged in and 5.4 unplugged in control wire; now, both control and ground read 0V plugged (thus powerside) in.

Im hoping Tyler and the rest would comment...thank you.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29431 by robert.lesaca
i inadvertently always say "...Intake CKP solenoid..." i meant the Intake CAMshaft on the exhaust side.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29572 by Tyler
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Robert. :( Work has been super busy with my own Equinox/Terrain problems.

Do I understand correctly that you saw the voltage dip AFTER solenoid replacement?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29573 by robert.lesaca
hi tyler...no, the dip i saw was before replacing the intake camshaft solenoid. i did my wiring integrity test prior and initially meter reading on control read about 4.7 v and almist same reading on ground. checked meter n grounding and did another test. meter read 0V on ground this time n control read 5.5 V. compared with good cmpshaft on echaust side and saw both 0v plugged in, confirming powerside. so to make something not right on intake side, i scoped it and waveform saw intermittent dips. i got convince that wiring integrity good and solenoid bad. i advised owner to change both solenoid. SUV working well now...

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds