Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Is It Toast?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29382 by tiride62
Is It Toast? was created by tiride62
2011 Ford Ranger, 4.0L engine. Fellow was having issue when he turned the steering wheel at low speeds all the dash lights would come on and he said it was hard to get the truck up to speed. He made a stop and when he came out the truck wouldn't start. The starter would engage but couldn't turn the engine, like it was seized. Towed it over and I poked around abit. Got a socket on the crank bolt, engine won't turn clockwise but will go counter clockwise. Starter works fine out of the truck. Voltage drop on positive cable to starter is 750mv, 1.25 volts on negative. Cleaned connections at starter, no difference in voltage drops. Spark plugs are welded in so I haven't pulled one, afraid of snapping it. My question is what could stop the engine from turning? It's not like it's seized, more like something is jammed. I could do a full revolution counter clockwise but try clockwise and it just jams. I know this is probably auto mechanics 101 but that was a long time ago for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29384 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Is It Toast?
Remove the serpentine belt and see if it turns. Can you turn all of the accessories, by hand?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 11 months ago #29393 by tiride62
Replied by tiride62 on topic Is It Toast?
I'll give that a try this morning. Now why didn't I think of that while I was staring at it last night?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29400 by tiride62
Replied by tiride62 on topic Is It Toast?
Yup, seized a/c compressor.
Rookie mistake. Lots of other problems with the truck but hopefully I shall overcome them. Thanks for the help, I feel dumb for needing it but not as dumb as I would of had I started changing an engine.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds