Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2016 Honda Civic - P0046 Turbo Issue

More
4 years 11 months ago #29369 by forumoto
This car came with turbo related issue, had the solenoid changed, I mean the bypass solenoid changed, yet the problem still exist.. I control the solenoid with scan tool and it give a tick sound, which means the solenoid is okay, when I unplug wire from it, I receive direct error code showing high circuit.

Now when I start the vehicle and move it a little, I receive this error of P0046. I have checked for leak of air but all is intact. I checked the turbo I also fine, no obstruction... to the turbine fins, it spins alright..

What could be my predicament..

1.5 Litre engine ...

Christ De Way Maker
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29373 by chief eaglebear
hi I cant access anything on bbb but that code would denote a ground problem if its high bring it low if its low bring it high to check wire integrity if you can put up a schematic that would help those of us that have no acces to diagrams

More
4 years 11 months ago #29374 by Chad
Have you checked the position sensor/signal?

Copy & Paste:

The powertrain control module (PCM) adjusts the boost pressure by controlling the turbocharger wastegate control actuator of the turbocharger. Boost pressure becomes higher by fully closing the turbocharger wastegate control valve driven by the turbocharger wastegate control actuator. The turbocharger wastegate control valve position is detected by the turbocharger wastegate control actuator position sensor and the signal is input to the PCM for target position feedback control. The turbocharger wastegate control actuator position sensor value when the turbocharger wastegate control valve is fully closed is stored as fully closed learning value. Target and actual positions are represented by the relative value from the fully closed position. The PCM sets a target position, and outputs a drive signal to the driver IC and drives the turbocharger wastegate control actuator to be equal to the target position. If the difference of the turbocharger wastegate control valve between the target position and the actual position is a specified value for a specified time, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: forumoto

More
4 years 11 months ago #29387 by forumoto

pole71 wrote: Have you checked the position sensor/signal?

Copy & Paste:

The powertrain control module (PCM) adjusts the boost pressure by controlling the turbocharger wastegate control actuator of the turbocharger. Boost pressure becomes higher by fully closing the turbocharger wastegate control valve driven by the turbocharger wastegate control actuator. The turbocharger wastegate control valve position is detected by the turbocharger wastegate control actuator position sensor and the signal is input to the PCM for target position feedback control. The turbocharger wastegate control actuator position sensor value when the turbocharger wastegate control valve is fully closed is stored as fully closed learning value. Target and actual positions are represented by the relative value from the fully closed position. The PCM sets a target position, and outputs a drive signal to the driver IC and drives the turbocharger wastegate control actuator to be equal to the target position. If the difference of the turbocharger wastegate control valve between the target position and the actual position is a specified value for a specified time, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.

Hello buddy, I am very grateful, I know it took you one pull of hair from your nose to get this vital info out. All I can say is, may divinity locate you and bless you.. is my prayer that as you help others, may you never lack help either at the time of vital need..

Thanks for spending penny to cushion me up..

Christ De Way Maker

More
4 years 11 months ago #29413 by forumoto
Pole71, I have had the actuator changed and now the former code is gone but now am getting P003A, waste gate system Not Learned..

Please what can I do
Go get this done, should I manually adjust the lever back that is attach to the waste gate door..

Christ De Way Maker

More
4 years 11 months ago #29416 by Chad
Malfunction Threshold
Either of the conditions is met for at least 2 seconds:

The turbocharger wastegate control actuator position sensor value is -3.45 mm (-0.14 in) or less, or 2.03 mm (0.08 in) or more when the turbocharger wastegate control valve is in fully closed condition.

The difference between the target position and the actual position is 0.1 mm (0.004 in) or more when the turbocharger wastegate control valve is in fully closed condition.

What Position value are you seeing when the turbocharger wastegate control valve is in fully closed condition?

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29433 by forumoto
So what must done to rectify this closeness error? Please I need your suggestion or do you think I must find another actuator again or can I adjust it to meet the position from the lever side?

Let say when I put scan tool, should I turn the key on to see the closeness value Under live data stream then select waste gate

Christ De Way Maker
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by forumoto. Reason: Typo error

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29442 by Chad

forumoto wrote: So what must done to rectify this closeness error?

What is the value of the Position Sensor when the control valve is fully closed? Does this value remain consistent?

do you think I must find another actuator again or can I adjust it to meet the position from the lever side?

Have you tested the Position Sensor signal?

Let say when I put scan tool, should I turn the key on to see the closeness value Under live data stream then select waste gate

Honestly, I have no experience with turbo systems. I am not sure what PID's are offered. But, the codes you have been facing relate to the POSITION of the control valve. You have, already, replaced the control valve. I would monitor the voltage/signal/PID on the Position Sensor signal (DCWGL). If you disconnect the position sensor, you should read a voltage on the DCWGL with a DVOM. I assume this voltage will be 5 volts. Connect an incandescent test light to Battery (-). While watching the 5 volts on the DVOM, touch the test light to the RED lead of your DVOM. The voltage should drop to near zero. If you have a Scan Data PID to watch, it should toggle from one extreme (high) to the other (low) when you apply the test light. If this test passes, then reconnect the position sensor and, closely, monitor the PID and Voltage while operating the valve.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29519 by forumoto
I got the problem solved, and this is what I did. Base on the article you shared with me as to the tolerance of the actuator rod connecting to the waste gate, I heard a little voice echoes in my spirit constant to re-adjust the actuator rod, so I looked for two 10 mm spanned flat and took off the actuator and loose it, and realigned the nut on the actuator rod, then that is all it is a fix, now no more P003A nor anything related to turbo system.. so in all the connecting rod is adjustable.

Thanks for the support and the input..

Before I leave this thread close, buddy I want to ask you one more question, which I will open thread topic for it, with regard to millimeter wave radar unit for Honda, how to code it to work.. any info for it when you have install new and the car detect that it is unmatch

Christ De Way Maker

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds