Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Airbag

More
4 years 11 months ago #29181 by nicky.van.rooyen
Airbag was created by nicky.van.rooyen
Morning
I recently booked in a Renault Fluence into my Workshop.
The Airbag light on code 8020 fault will not clear. After doing some research on the internet I saw people using 2-ohm resistors to fool the system into thinking that the airbag is still in the vehicle and by that then also checking the wiring integrity - by this I mean that if the light goes off the rest of the system is in working order.
I don't know the airbag system that well and would like to know if that is perhaps a respected way of testing airbags?
How do you work on a system that you have to disconnect the battery and might deploy when working on it?
thank you
Nicky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29194 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Airbag
A 2.2 ohm resistor works as a test substitue for most air bags but only for airbags and pretennsioners not the oher parts of the system
95% of airbag faults on euro cars are down to a poor connection at the connectors under the front seats. Cleaning these connectors will often clear the fault in the short term.

it actually takes quite a jolt of current to detonate an airbag and they have a safety shorting link built into the connector that when disconnected automatically sthe detonator, so don't feel too worried about working on them ^^^^^^ but don't go poking about with a test light connectect to battery voltage..*******

But before doing anything beyond cleaning ther connectors under the seat you would need to know what the fault code is pointng to and I can't find a definition of 8020

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 11 months ago #29215 by chief eaglebear
Replied by chief eaglebear on topic Airbag
I think that airbag code converts to a B0020 left side airbag fault
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 11 months ago #29218 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Airbag
In which case the under seat connector is the prime suspect. Each front seat will likely have two connectors for the SRS one for airbag and one for the seat belt pre-tensioner. Disconnect and use contact cleaner on the connection before reconnecting. If there are other wires under the seatv the SRS system connections are fine gauge wires.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 11 months ago #29307 by nicky.van.rooyen
Replied by nicky.van.rooyen on topic Airbag
thanks for your info the fault said that it was the driverside chest airbag which turns out to be on the passenger side in SA. Someone replaced that airbag but also cut the wires and reconnected them as the job was under warranty it was sent back to that shop

More
4 years 11 months ago #29308 by nicky.van.rooyen
Replied by nicky.van.rooyen on topic Airbag
So is it best to disconnect the battery before cleaning connectors

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds