Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Should car die as soon as MAF unolugged?

More
4 years 11 months ago #28879 by jman26063
Hey all, Just got a vantage pro and was testing MAF for fun as it is easiest to get to. I was struggling to back probe connector so I figured ill unplug, probe and reconnect and as soon as connector came out car instantly stalled. Is this normal behavior.

2010 Corolla 1.8

Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #28881 by Andy.MacFadyen
No golden rule on this some vehicles will run more or less happily on a back-up stratedgy with the MAF unplugged some won't run at all. Even on engines that run well with a disconnected MAF unplugging on a running enging will I suspect make te ECU totally confused and throw a wobbler.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
4 years 11 months ago #28921 by jman26063
Thank you very much for response

More
4 years 11 months ago #28922 by juergen.scholl
My experience is that especially Toyota products will not start or run with the Maf sensor unplugged. To see what's happening look at the injector pulse width when the Maf is unplugged.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
4 years 11 months ago #28933 by Andy.MacFadyen
In contrast BMW M47 diesels run almost perfectly with the MAF disconnected, only a power loss at high rpm which is not of much significance on a diesel anyway. Mercedes will usually run with the MAF disconnected but at about 1/4 power.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds