Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1999 buick park avenue ultra no power to fuel pump

More
5 years 5 days ago - 5 years 5 days ago #28822 by Mparmer84
I can't get power from the grey wire at the fuel pump. I can power the grey wire at the fuel pump with a power probe and it will start and run. I take the power away it dies. I've tested at the relay. I have load power and control power. I have a ground and the one going to fuel pump shows as ground too. I think this is my problem, but cant figure out why
Last edit: 5 years 5 days ago by Mparmer84.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 days ago - 5 years 5 days ago #28825 by Chad
Is the 8th digit of the VIN a K, or a 1?

Likely, the reason you are seeing a ground on the wire going to the fuel pump is because you are detecting the fuel pump ground THROUGH the fuel pump. This is normal and what you want to see, if the relay is OPEN. I have traced the rout of the ground (for VIN K), through the fuel pump, to the relay in BLUE

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 5 days ago by Chad.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28828 by Mparmer84
My vin is a 1 not k. I'm really begining to think its a broken wire. Do you know the color of wire coming out of the fuse box to the fuel pump? There is no grey wire going to the fuse box from the loom

More
5 years 4 days ago - 5 years 4 days ago #28829 by Chad

Mparmer84 wrote: My vin is a 1..... Do you know the color of wire coming out of the fuse box to the fuel pump?

Since you have the VIN 1, power for the fuel pump does not come from the fuse box. It comes from the FPCM (Fuel Pump Control Module). The relay supply's power to the FPCM (PIN 8, RED wire), the FPCM supplies power to the fuel pump (PIN 6, GRY wire). The PCM controls fuel pump speed by supplying a pulse-width modulated (PWM) signal to the FPCM (PIN 7, BRN wire)

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 days ago by Chad.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28830 by Mparmer84
Ok thanks. I will check that out after work tonight, but im guessing that module is bad. Is there a way to bypass that module?

More
5 years 4 days ago #28832 by Chad
Most likely, the module IS bad. However, be sure to check for power, ground, and PWM at the FPCM. The FPCM COULD be bypassed, simply, by supplying power and ground , directly, to the fuel pump, as you have, already, done. I would not recommend this, though, for safety reasons. I'm not sure how the PCM would react, either.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28837 by autojoe
You have no fpcm for this older vehicle. Pcm controls power side switched to fp relay. Grey wire underhood fuse block A7 C3 circuit 120 Grey wire. You have control at pf relay in crank position power?

More
5 years 4 days ago #28840 by autojoe
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 days ago #28841 by Mparmer84
You are incorrect autojoe. There is one and it was in the trunk above the wheel well as pole71 diagram showed. Have tested it yet as i havent found anyone to crank the engine while i check for voltage, but i got it pulled out!!
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 days ago #28842 by autojoe
I'm sorry was unaware had one on this year car. Only has two speeds based on map input to pcm.

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds