Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0401

More
5 years 1 week ago #28744 by autojoe
P0401 was created by autojoe
Gm blazer 1998 how clean egr intake passages. Have removed throttle body on ford's. How to clean on this engine. Thanks in advance. 4.3 engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28745 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0401
I think your best plan is to remove the EGR valve and possibly the upper intake plenum, as in the plastic part of the intake that the throttle body bolts to. That'll give you access to both ends of the EGR passages. Be sure to buy gaskets for the EGR valve, the plenum AND the o-ring that goes around the injector connector.

That said, are you sure you're dealing with plugged passages? :huh: Because I've had the lower intakes off of these engines many times, and never found their EGR passages to be even remotely plugged. This is probably the only EGR system that never really suffered from severe plugging.

Usually, I find that a.) A piece of carbon from the exhaust found it's way to the EGR valve, or b.) Someone installed a 'screened' EGR valve gasket, and that's become plugged. I've also seen the EGR tube from the exhaust break in two, but that's less common.

In all three cases, it might be as easy as pulling the valve off for a visual inspection. :cheer:

More
5 years 1 week ago #28746 by autojoe
Replied by autojoe on topic P0401
Have egr on no stall. I would think a sticking pintle would trigger a egr position code.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28752 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0401
Oh yeah, you'd get a P1404 or P1406 if the pintle wasn't performing. But I've seen carbon chunks big enough that they don't go into the valve, but obscure the port enough to cause a P0401.

All the more likely if someone installed a 'screened' valve gasket. Like this:

www.amazon.com/Dorman-47007-Screen-Gaske...rtment/dp/B000CSZHA8

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds