Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Ford expedition 4.6 L very very rich condition

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #28706 by Columbus450
Hello everybody right now I’m working on a expedition with the 4.6 L
Came into my shop because of a bad misfire They changed all coil packs, Injectors , spark plugs
Truck is running on only four cylinders raw fuel coming out of tailpipe, this is what I have done
Looking at the vehicle the right bank is not contributing whatsoever left Bank is, fuel pressure 30 psi vacuum line unplugged off a regulator jumps up to 40 psi it is within spec,all 12 Injectors have 12 V and are ground side switch pulsing none of the injectors are shorted to ground that was the first thing I checked

Next all coil packs are working the way they are supposed to firing on all 8
I did notice the right bank spark plugs were fouled out
I was thinking it could be a compression issue on that one whole bank there is no fuel in my coolant system also no pressure developing in coolant reservoir I have not done a compression test yet
Plugged scanner fuel trims looked normal no compensation

Have you guys have any experience with this issue, Only fault codes was for O2 sensor

only thing I have left is compression and check timing
What are your guys thoughts scanner Danner says he has not seen a injector stuck mechanically open
?? But I guess that doesn’t mean it can’t happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Columbus450.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 days ago #28708 by Tyler
Definitely agree with a possible timing concern. Which year of Expedition, specifically?

A clear flood cranking test will likely make a compression problem obvious. If this is a 4.6L without VVT, then it's possible to have a timing concern that can't be picked up by the PCM.

Which O2 code was it? You can eliminate an O2 concern by noting of the engine runs badly while in open loop.

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #28710 by Columbus450
(null)
2001 Ford expedition 4.6 L
I do not remember which O2 code it was I have to check it again Also not sure on open loop or closed loop I will check that tonight
I’m not very familiar with what open or Closed Loop,means yet honestly

More
5 years 2 days ago #28713 by Tyler
As a general rule, most engines will take a bit before they transition from open to closed loop, while the PCM waits for the O2's to warm up.

That means that if the engine is running on four cylinders immediately after startup, then it's likely ths O2's aren't involved in the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbus450, gandh513

More
5 years 2 days ago #28715 by Tacitus043
What does it sound like when you crank it during a clear flood test? A nice steady rhythm, or erratic?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbus450

More
5 years 2 days ago #28718 by Columbus450
Well guys this vehicle does not have clear flood mode just revs to the moon

But I did physically unplug all eight injectors and there is very much a big inconsistency in the cylinders check out this video

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #28719 by Columbus450

More
5 years 2 days ago #28720 by Columbus450

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

More
5 years 2 days ago #28721 by Columbus450

Here

More
5 years 2 days ago #28722 by Columbus450
Hmm my video isn't posting

More
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #28724 by Tyler
Oh yeah, definitely an inconsistency! :woohoo: Thank you for that video.

A relative compression test with a scope and a sync on #1 would be best if you have a scope available. If not, I'd start with a compression test in one cylinder of each bank. If we're on the right track, the results should be obvious.
Last edit: 5 years 2 days ago by Tyler.

More
5 years 2 days ago #28735 by Columbus450
Awesome im glad you were able to hear the video !! Its pretty bad right! I have a modis edge with 2 channel scope question what amp clamp do you recommend ? Was thinking ase clamp

Yes I will Pin into number one plug wire and watch wave form should be very interesting

More
5 years 1 day ago #28743 by Tyler
Pretty much any kind of amp clamp you have available can be made to work. ;) If you don't have one handy, you can also do the same test with just voltage across the battery instead. Connect channel #1 with an alligator clamp to the battery positive post, and scope ground to battery negative. The scope setup is a different, but you'll get the same information.

This is a capture I took off a Suburban with (obvious) compression issues. Since you have a Modis Edge, you can pretty much copy the settings for channel #1 and get in the ballpark.

Channel #2 is gonna be different for you, since you're triggering off a COP instead of a plug wire. 50 or 100V scale with Peak Detect is what you'll want.

Eager to see the results! :cheer:

More
5 years 1 day ago #28747 by Columbus450
Wow !!thanks so much for the info no I do not have a clamp available right now I did not know I could just put my lead on the positive side of the battery that is great I will do that for now and see what kind of reading I get ,since it is coil over plug so I just probe into the number one cylinder coil over plug, on the signal wire correct?

Thanks a lot for the wave form!!!
I will keep you updated on what I find

More
5 years 1 day ago #28753 by Tyler
Yeah, backprobe the control wire on the #1 coil. Or any coil, really, as long as you know which one. ;)

The voltage relative compression is super handy when you don't have an amp clamp around, OR it's difficult to get the jaws of your clamp around the battery cable you want. I've been using it more and more.

More
4 years 11 months ago #28823 by Columbus450
(null)

This on A known good vehicle with good compression this is the best I could get it to show up with a five second time base I tryed 200 but it was way too fast and close together how do you get the spikes to go so high up and down and more broad and wider?

More
4 years 11 months ago #28860 by Dtnel
Just did a quick search as I saw this article and the compression testing with scope interests me. I did a search for "compression test using a scope south main auto".

I received plenty of returns from Google with south main auto but the one that stuck out is this one by the man himself scannerdanner,

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...TJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Hope it loads up correctly and helps as well.

More
4 years 11 months ago #28861 by Dtnel
I will try to reload the link as it don't seem to preload the videos as I thought it once did. Maybe @Tyler could remind me how to post a YouTube video link where it previews it?

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #28862 by Dtnel
Here's the link to the video. Hopefully it previews otherwise just copy and paste the link is the best I can think of for now.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Dtnel.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #28863 by Dtnel
I posted the link in my previous post but when it posts to the thread it don't show unless I go into edit it. Is there something or a delay that keeps it from showing up right away? It is a scannerdanner video as well?

Edit;

Adding a screenshot of the video and more related videos in the text below which would be the description area below the video normally. Wonder if it's because I'm on my mobile decide that the links won't post as clickable or if the site has them disabled by chance for security reasons?

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Dtnel.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds