Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Hyundai Elantra AC Compressor/ Clutch

More
4 years 11 months ago #28687 by popoften
Clutch remains engaged whether or not AC is switched on. Backprobed wire leading to AC clutch switch. It shows 0 volts when AC switch is OFF, battery voltage (13.9 volts) when switch is ON. Engine RPM’s rise when switch is ON, decrease again when switch is OFF. Pressure gauges show 77 psi (same number as ambient temperature) on both high and low sides. Vents blow warm air. In my untrained mind I am ready to call a bad compressor.

But before I fire up the parts cannon, anything else I should consider/test?

Thanks!

Pop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #28688 by Chad
I would say the clutch, at least, is bad. Few people replace just the clutch, anymore, but I don't think I could call the whole compressor, unless I knew it was REALLY engaged. If you remove the belt and turn the pulley by hand, does it feel like it is turning the internals of the compressor.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 11 months ago #28699 by Tyler
Good ideas from pole71. :cheer:

The even pressures on both sides make me think that the main input shaft snapped off inside the compressor. You might be able to find just a clutch? But I think I'd go for compressor replacement if it were mine.

If the compressor really did fail internally, then you're also looking for 'black death'. :silly: After sucking the refrigerant out, pull a high side hose off and look for discoloration of the oil. Clear or green is good, gray or black means the compressor spit its internals into the rest of the system...

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds