Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Running lean

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28675 by Jakeo
Running lean was created by Jakeo
Hi paul just wanting a bit of advice on a problem a car is having in my workshop.
So its bringing up a code for post cat a/f sensor reading lean, the thing we are struggling with is have observed fuel trims and we dont seem to be getting anything out of the ordinary and the code is logged when on deceleration and only at about 800 rpm. We suspected possible 02 sensor which was swapped and same result. The vehicle does not seem to have any noticeable drivability issues and no complaints of low power or anything.
I thought it could possibly be related to a dirty injector as i have seen a code for this type of lean condition in the past but not on the same vehicle.
Was just hoping you may have some advice for me possibly or a direction we may be able to go in. From memory code p2096.
Thanks very much in advance!
Loving the site by the way very informative
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Jakeo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28680 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Running lean
What year, make, model, and engine size is this car?

Do you have sensor graphing capabilities?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 1 week ago #28682 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Running lean
Definitely need the Y/M/M. P2096 is a somewhat common code across multiple makes, unfortunately. :silly:

More
5 years 1 week ago #28690 by Jakeo
Replied by Jakeo on topic Running lean
Sorry it is a 2010 mazda cx7, 2.3turbo motor. I do have an old snapon modis scan tool with a 4 channel scope however iv not used it much hence why iv joined this site to try and continue learning.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28691 by Jakeo
Replied by Jakeo on topic Running lean
Have attached picture of freeze frame capture of code. Just a bit confused as we dont seem to be getting abnormal fuel trim readings to indicate a lean condition. Its the downstream 02 sensor that is logging this code.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28698 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Running lean
Gotcha, thanks! :cheer:

If the trims are solid across all conditions, then I'd start by looking for an exhaust leak. Doesn't matter if you can hear one or not - even pinholes can piss off the downstream fuel control.

Smoking the exhaust would be a good idea. If you have an exhaust cone and an air pressure regulator, that'd be even better. Dial it up to around 5 PSI and use soapy water to look for leaks.

Time to create page: 4.997 seconds