Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crank No Start No fuel pump prime

More
5 years 3 days ago - 4 years 11 months ago #28617 by Gandy911
I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon Gt 2.7 v6 6 speed VIN# KMHHN65F13U100010 157k miles that will not start due to not getting power to the fuel pump when I turn the key. The engine cranks and will fire on starter fluid. The car ran fine one no intermittent problems or anything to lead up to this issue. I parked it one day and it sat for maybe a week . I have checked the relays and all are good crank sensor and cam sensors are new, I jumped the fuel pump relay under the hood and the pump kicked on fine. ALSO my obd2 scanner will not communicate with my ECU but the scanner does power on. Every fuse is good and did not have any blown or anything. I did not find any corrosion or breaks during my visual inspection which was pretty extensive throughout the car (i pulled all panels/carpet ect...) I am hoping to eliminate the ECU as the issue. what is the easiest way to eliminate this possibility ? Electrical systems are my weakness to say the least but i do have the basic testing tools. This is not my main vehicle but i really like driving it in the summer and helps keep mileage down on my newer car.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Gandy911.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 days ago - 5 years 3 days ago #28618 by juergen.scholl
Does the check engine light come on with the switch on?

Is the 5 volt reference circuit alive? (look for voltage supply to the sensors with the key in the on position )

Check the powers and grounds to the ecm.

Would the engine start when you powered up the fuel pump externally?

Do you havve a second key just in case it was the transponder chip (any immo light?)?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 5 years 3 days ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 3 days ago - 5 years 3 days ago #28619 by Chad
Verify power on FUSE 16 (10 amp), when the key is in the ON or CRANK positions.

ENG CTRL RLY, Pin23, Orange wire should show battery voltage with the key OFF. Turn the key on, and it should, momentarily, turn to ground. Cranking, it should be ground.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 days ago by Chad.

More
5 years 3 days ago #28620 by Gandy911
Check engine light does show on dash with the key on, I did not crank the engine when I jumped the fuel relay cause I was working alone at the time. Normal key ignition no transponder. I will check sensors first and get back asap with what I find out. The ECU will take some time cause Hyundai put it in a very tight spot on this car. Thank you for the quick reply.

More
5 years 11 hours ago - 5 years 11 hours ago #28716 by Gandy911
5V reference alive at sensors. When I power the pump at the relay (30/87) and the fuel pump runs and fills the fuel rails with fuel. The engine still does not start.
Last edit: 5 years 11 hours ago by Gandy911.

More
5 years 7 hours ago #28734 by Gandy911
I will add that I did change all 6 injectors back about 4 months ago. not sure if that would cause any issues. I did not drive the car but a few times since I changed them.....

More
4 years 9 months ago #31323 by Gandy911
Havent touched the car for months but i went out to try n get my scan tool to connect and i finally did get it to scan, I unhooked my Idle Air Control Valve and my scanner linked up. no codes found, could a shorted IACV cause my computer to shut down my fuel relay?

More
4 years 6 months ago #33832 by Gandy911
Where are all of the engine grounds located? I have found 1 on the firewall and I found one on the coil/intake.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 6 months ago #33853 by Noah
According to the diagram that Chad provided, looks like there's a computer ground behind the right side of the dash.

Curious...did the engine run with the iac unplugged?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 6 months ago #33908 by Gandy911
car does not start with iac unplugged, i get no spark and no fuel. this car is a pita when it comes to the computer with its location, it literally took an hour to just remove one to swap with a known good one. while the ecu is plugged in there is absolutely no room to back probe it. i am now looking for the computer ground in the dash area. The ecu sits under dash right side where you basically have access to only harness plugs that plug into the ecu, no slack at all

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds