Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Excessive OIl Consuming

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #28389 by rudolph.palm
2014 Kia FORTE, 84900 mls. Customer complain is excessive oil consumption, have to add a quarter US gln once a week. Some infos acquired stated that at some point this may be "normal". Its not clear to me how much this car are being use. But I have some other customer with the same model and year which does not have this issue at all. Recommended oil for this engine is the multi grade 5w-20. Customer stated that no smoke has been observed from the tailpipe. No visible oil spills under the hood or underneath the car. Neither on the floor of its parking spot. The oil has to be going somewhere, my first thought was a bad PCV valve, Worn valve stem seals, which is supposed to produce some smoke at start up, may be happening but the customer can not confirm or deny it. PCV valve is replaced!.. Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by rudolph.palm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28393 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have heard of high oil consumption on these but 2 pints US per week sounds excessive.
A test for worn valve stem seals is leave the car idling for two or three minutes then look for smoke as you raise the rpm.
It would also be an idea to pull a few sparking plugs and look for signs of oil fouling on the plug and oil wetness on tops of the pistons.
A compression test or leak down test may show something but in my experience a failed oil control ring dosen't always affect the compression pressure by very much.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: rudolph.palm

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28427 by rudolph.palm
Thanks for your reply, I will check it out and follow up!

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28437 by JarheadDiagnostics
Being a Kia master tech I can tell you that for Kia 1qrt per 1,000 miles is acceptable for Kia standards. Some things I have seen, check for excessive sludge build on from lack of maint. Also On this engine I have seen that cylinder walls scored causing oil consumption that way. The coupe that I had with that cylinder walls damaged, were damaged just below tdc, so they all passed compression and leak down test. I had the verify with a borescope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, rudolph.palm

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds